Willing Slave Chapter 32
By: KC

KC: *zombie-mode* Finish fic...must finish fic...brains...

Wufei: Eek, a zombie! *leaps into Treize's arms*

KC:...must eat brains...

Zechs: None here.

Duo: Mm, I think I'll help her.

All: !!!

Duo: *grabs Heero and throws him on the ground, stripping off his shorts* Yum.

Heero: Duo, what're you doing--oooh...*voice dissolves into little groans and squeaks*

Trowa: What the...?

Quatre: I think Duo got his heads mixed up.

Treize: Wufei...my dear...beloved...

Wufei: Not with all these people watching!

Treize: If you'll excuse us...*picks Wufei up and runs off stage*

KC: Can't believe I've gotten so far (esp. when so many other authors aren't updating!) Well, tonight's the night.

Quatre: For what, more slave torture? *whimper*whimper*

KC: Among other things. No, tonight's gonna be the most bittersweet night of Wufei's life! And the roughest night for Duo.

Duo: Really bad stuff?

KC: No no, I said bittersweet. It's good for you, but it's gonna hurt.

Duo: ???

Heero: Hey, don't stop.

Duo: Huh? Oh, right. *goes back down*

KC: Um, why don't we give them a tiny bit of privacy and go on to the chapter.

Trowa: Damn. Voyeurism turns Quatre on.

KC: O_O

Quatre: ^__^

*

Treize walked into his room, half expecting Wufei to turn away in fear. Instead he found his slave fast asleep in bed with Sally bandaging his arm. She looked up, meeting his eyes for a moment, then looked back down.

"Is he all right?" he asked, afraid he would wake his slave.

"You broke his arm and beat him," she said. "What do you think?"

Treize didn't say anything. He sat down at the table and pulled his boots off, dropping his sword belt on top of them. He sighed and leaned his head back, as if he would fall asleep in his chair.

"But he'll be fine," she said. "Given enough time. Maybe a month for the arm, less for the bruises and cuts. Does he have any healing spells?"

"I have no idea," he said. "The last time I looked around in that chest, I turned into something he calls a panda." He turned his head. "Maybe Nataku knows."

Sleeping on Wufei's stomach, the dragon opened one eye at him, puffed a little smoke, and closed her eye again.

"I guess not."

Silence.

"Will he wake up soon ?"

"In a few hours, maybe." Sally finished up the wrapping and stood. "If you're going to stay here for awhile..."

Treize nodded. "Yes. It's been a hell of a day. I'm not going anywhere for awhile."

"Then can you tell me where Quatre is? I think I'd better check on him."

"Trowa took him to the outer gardens." He shook his head. "Poor thing. I wonder if he'll even sleep inside their bedroom now."

"Why?"

"Trowa locked him in their closet before I tore the zero from him. His hands were all bloody from scratching at the door."

Sally lowered her head while she put her things back in her bag. "I'm surprised he trusts Trowa at all now."

Treize looked up at her. "What other choice does he have? He can't survive on the streets, he has no friends except Wufei, maybe Duo..."

"Duo," Sally said. "Duo. Treize, did Heero take a zero with him?"

"I know what you're driving at," he said, "and yes, he did. But I can't go after him without people suspecting something's wrong, and I can't send guards for the same reason. If Heero does anything, Duo will have to protect himself."

Sally smiled as she hefted her bag onto her shoulder. "I'm sure he can. He seems like a capable little thief."

"In any case, he's got good aim," he said. He watched her leave, and once she'd shut the door behind herself, he walked to the bed and sat down.

"Wake up soon, love," he whispered, stroking the dark hair back. "I have a gift for you." He took the geis pendant from the torn clothes on the floor and set it on the nightstand. "Even though it will surely kill me, I have a gift for you."

*

Duo knocked twice, then pushed the worn wooden door open wide enough to let him and Heero through. "Hey, anyone home? I'm back."

A small pair of eyes poked out from behind a threadbare blanket. "Duo? Izzat you?"

Duo grinned and dropped to one knee. "Would I lie to you?"

Heero backed against the closed door at the explosion of children. From every corner and shadow, children dressed as shabbily as his slave had been that first night came streaming into Duo's arms. None of them were as old as the braided thief, and the youngest toddled on unsteady bare feet.

"Duo, where've you been--"

"What happened--"

"Did the prince really capture you?"

"You escaped, right?"

"Who's he?"

Heero put one hand on the door, ready to run in case the children swarmed him. Duo grinned and motioned for everyone to come closer, as if he had some great secret to share. "You can't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you, got that?"

All of them nodded, even the youngest.

"His name is Hee-chan.1 He's my friend. He may look a little stern, but he's really nervous in big crowds, so give him some space, okay?"

"Is he gonna stay with us?" one girl asked.

"We're only staying the night," Duo said, and he winced when all the children started to whine. "Hush, all the whining in the world's not gonna keep me here. I gotta go back to the palace tomorrow."

"But we need you here," another child said. "It's hard, stealing enough."

Heero winced. I can't eat your proclamations.

Duo smiled as he took out the small bag at his side. "I know, that's why I brought you this." He opened it, spilling a few rubies into his palm. "Stole 'em from Dermail, so don't say nothing about 'em. They should take care of you all for awhile."

Collective gasps went up from the children, and the rubies all disappeared before Heero could see which hands had grabbed each jewel. Duo stood and stretched.

"Look, guys, I'm gonna take Hee-chan upstairs and settle him in my old room."

The whining started again, louder than before.

Duo held his hands out. "I know, I know, I'll come back and tell you what's been going on. Just let me take care of him before you make him faint."

Before the children could start whining again, Duo grabbed Heero's hand and led him through the little crowd, taking him up a rickety staircase that creaked with every step. Heero held his breath, watching bits of dust fall from the shaking steps, and breathing again only when they reached the second floor.

"I know it's not what you're used to," Duo said, "but at least it's safer than sleeping outside."

"We'll head out as soon as it gets dark," Heero said. "We need to get back to the castle as soon as possible."

Duo nodded once. "Sure. Not a problem." He lay his hand on Heero's shoulder. "You okay? You look tired."

"I'll be fine."

Duo frowned at that, but didn't challenge him. "Uh, do you mind if I go talk with the kids? I haven't seen them for awhile...and..."

Heero turned to face him. "Go on, but don't tell them anything important."

His slave smiled and hugged him. "Thank you. I'll be back up soon, I promise."

Heero watched him go, listening to the stairs creak until he heard Duo hit the floor. Yawning, he looked back at the room. Light came in from a small window in the wall and the numerous cracks in the walls. A table, the wood gray from age, stood in a corner with two similar chairs beside it. He walked across the floor, wincing at the loud thumps and creaks the wood made, and stopped in the corner. Two large rags that might have passed for blankets at one time lay in a crumpled heap. He nudged the pile with his shoe, and three scorpions ran from their shelter. After stomping on each one, he kicked them aside and picked up the blankets, carefully shaking them out. A few more bugs fell out, and he killed those before folding the blankets up again and putting them on the table. He lay his papers on top of them and started to read.

After a few minutes, he frowned. The agreement was clearly drawn, but there were three signatures, not just Dermail's and Barton's. One of the three was written in the block characters Wufei used.

"Laoshi O," Heero whispered. "But why his name?" He scanned the writing and found another line entirely composed of Chinese characters. That must be it. But what's it say...I'll have to ask Wufei.

*

Trowa plucked up a little wild flower, bright yellow and red, and offered it to the slave nestled in his lap. Resting his head on his master's chest, Quatre opened his eyes and took the delicate stem, holding it in his thin fingers. Trowa winced at the blood still caked over his lover's hands, the splinters half under his nails. He ran his own hand over Quatre's hair and rubbed his back while the blonde twirled his flower.

The monarch leaned back against the tree behind him and sighed. His slave's skin was so cold to the touch. Wish I'd brought a blanket for him, he thought.

"Trowa?"

He looked up, surprised by Une's quiet approach. Dressed in her normal gardening dress, she also had a large basket on her arm and a small bowl of water in her hands.

"Une?"

"Mm...may I?" she asked, nodding at Quatre.

Trowa looked down at his slave. "Love? She could make your hands stop hurting."

Quatre didn't answer. He only raised his hands for her.

Une hid her wince and knelt beside them, placing her basket down and pulling a thin blanket out of it. She unfolded the blue cloth and draped it over Quatre, pulling it up to his shoulders. She took one of his wrists and dipped his hand in the water, rinsing the dried blood and wood away. "I'm going to get those splinters out," she said. "It'll sting."

Quatre shrugged.

She brought his hand up to her eyes and caught one of the splinters between her nails. Holding her breath, she began to draw it out. Blood welled up under the nail, but it came clear after a few seconds. She dropped it on the ground and started on another. Quatre didn't make a sound.

Une looked at Trowa, who nodded for her to continue. When she pulled the first splinter on his other hand, blood beginning to coat her own fingers, she heard a little whimper and looked up. Tears fell steadily out of Quatre's eyes, and he pressed his face back into Trowa's chest.

Trowa held still for a moment before putting one arm around Quatre's waist, his other hand rubbing his back. "It's okay, love. It's almost over."

Une sped through the rest of the splinters and rinsed his hands one more time. Another cloth came out of the basket, and she pressed it around Quatre's fingers to dry them. Her hands reached up to dry off a few drops that had slid up his arms, and she frowned. The boy's muscles were far too tense, as if he expected to be hit or wanted to run.

"Une?"

Une smiled when Sally sat down, carrying her own basket. "He's tiring himself out. Do you have any catnep2 on you?"

Sally nodded and dug into her basket. "I brought some teas from the shop."3

She unwrapped the cover from a warm glass jar and held it up while Une scooped honey from another jar and mixed it in. When it was cool enough for Quatre's battered hands to hold, she gave it to Trowa and let it put it to his lover's lips.

Quatre shook his head and closed his eyes.

"Just a little," Trowa said. "So you can relax and fall asleep."

Quatre didn't move.

"It's got honey in it," Trowa said.

"Honey?" Quatre stared at the glass, raising one hand and holding it back at the same time.

"It's sweet. You don't have to drink all of it. Just a sip."

Quatre opened his lips a little and let Trowa tilt the glass. After a moment, he pulled the glass away. Quatre wiped at his mouth with the back of his hand, then put his hands around Trowa's and brought the glass back, taking another sip.

Sally lay her hand on Trowa's shoulder and stood up, leaving with Une.

Trowa leaned back against the tree again and let Quatre drink down the tea. The only sounds in the garden were his slave's little noises and the wind running through the trees.

*

Wufei woke up with someone's fingers running through his hair. He groaned and turned his head. Why was this person here? Only Treize touched him like this, and Treize was...He frowned. Treize was probably out working, as usual.

He turned to his right but stopped when pain flared up in his right arm. Oh, that's right. Now I remember. He hissed in a breath and turned his face toward the pillow, wishing the pain would stop.

"Wufei? Are you awake?"

He opened his eyes and found his master leaning over him, his uniform gone and wearing only a white shirt and plain pants. "Treize..."

"It's all right," the captain said. "I'm not going to hurt you."

Wufei forced a smile. "I know. The zero..." His smile faded when Treize looked away. He followed his look and saw his geis pendant on the nightstand beside him.

"Wufei...love...there's something I have to do."

The sorcerer closed his eyes. "Strengthen the geis..."

"No," Treize said, laying his hand on Wufei's shoulder. "No. I...love, you were barely able to stop me from killing you, and Quatre...Quatre's not going to be the same for a long time..."

"I'll destroy the zeros," Wufei said.

"That's not enough." Treize picked up Wufei's good hand and squeezed it. "Zechs tried to hurt Noin, but she could stop him. She could fight back since she isn't a..." He pushed a few black strands that had fallen over his love's face. "I've decided...and...I can't let this happen again...I know it'll kill me, that you'll leave..."

Wufei clenched his hand around Treize's. Sell me...he's going to sell me...

"I set you free."

Tears in his eyes, Treize took the dagger on the nightstand and slammed the hilt down on the pendant, smashing it. A little wisp of blue light trickled out like water and disappeared. Wufei stared at the broken bits of glass and metal, blinking hard.

"Free?" He looked back at Treize. "Free?"

"Completely."

Wufei relaxed on his pillow and stared at the ceiling. Not selling...free...can't be sold anymore...I could go anywhere, do anything now...could destroy the whole palace...

"If...if you want..." Treize whispered, "I could get...whatever you need. I know you hate me...probably want to see your mountains again..."

Mountains...it's been so long...

Wufei smiled.

"It will be nice to wrap you in chains."

Treize tilted his head. "What?"

He closed his eyes and nestled down into his blankets, the pain in his arm dying down into a dull throb. "It's getting cold in here."

"I'll get another--"

"Sh," Wufei said. "Come lay beside me. Keep me warm."

Treize looked at him for a moment until a smile crept over his face. "Yes, love." He moved to the other side of the bed and slid in next to him, finding a clear spot on his lover's chest that wasn't bruised or cut. "You forgive me?"

"No." Wufei shook his head, but his smile only broadened. "But I think I'll enjoy taking my justice from you."

*

Heero looked up from the last few words on the page as Duo came up the stairs, his whipping braid appearing first as he shook his head. He crossed the floor and pulled a chair out, straddling it and resting his head on the table.

"Hi, Hee-chan. Anything new?"

"Hn." Heero flipped one of the pages over and stared at the writing. "They're moving faster than I thought."

"What'cha mean?"

"I thought we had a few months, but it looks like they've already got a large army assembled...it could be any day now..."

"Army?" Duo squinted at the lettering. "But we already got the guards, right?"

"That wasn't their main force. They don't give details, but it looks like they have three necromancers working for them. And one sorcerer."

"The one Wufei--?"

"Mm-hmm." Heero showed him the Chinese characters. "I'll need him to tell me what these mean."

"Pretty writing." Duo pointed at the letters. "Wufei said he showed me all the letters, but how come these look different? Is there another alphabet?"

Heero smirked. "No, that's just Dermail's sloppy writing." He folded the papers again and hid them somewhere in his cloak. "Ready to go to sleep?"

Duo kissed him and stood up. "I guess so. How're we gonna get up when it gets dark?"

"I'll wake up."

The thief smiled. "Yeah, I guess you would." He stretched and yawned. "I'm not used to getting up so early."

"Then let's get you to bed." Heero spread the blankets on the ground and sat down.

Duo sat down next to him and let Heero put his cloak around him, drawing him closer.

"Those kids won't come up here, will they?"

"No, I told 'em not to. I said you're good at throwing knives and you always sleep with one in your hand."

"That reminds me...Hee-chan?"

Duo laughed and hugged him, using his chest as a pillow. "You're my Hee-chan. I think it suits you."

"Hn. Go to sleep."

Once his slave's breathing became regular and deepened and his muscles relaxed, Heero repositioned himself so his hip didn't press against the hard floor. He winced as something else dug into his side, and he reached around to find the zero tucked into a pocket. He stared at the crystal for awhile, examining the chain and the way the light bounced off the surface, then put it over his head and around his throat.

"Might as well start getting used to it," he said before hugging Duo closer and falling asleep.

*

Zechs ran his hand through his hair, tugging at a tangle at the very tips. "Are you sure you can't squeeze it in?"

The smith hammered at a long piece of metal soon to become a sword. "I'm sorry, sir, but that kind of mask is hard to work and I've got a ton of swords and shields to make, not to mention arrows and cross bows, and you yourself told me you need coverings for the horses. I just can't work your mask in anytime soon."

"And you can't repair the old one?"

"Not the way it broke. I'd have to melt the whole thing again anyway."

"Damn it."

"I'm sorry, sir. If you'd only come to me sooner, maybe--"

Zechs leaned against the wall, arms folded. "No, it's all right, Howard. I just...it makes things a little more complicated, that's all." I'll have to keep out of Relena's sight more than ever.

"Hey, Zechs, can I ask you something?"

"Yes?"

Howard leaned over the hot metal towards the officer. "Why the sudden gear up? Who're we fighting?"

"You'll have to ask Captain Khushrenada for that. I don't think I'm at liberty to say."

"Can you tell me who hit you? That's a hell of a bruise you've got."

Zechs frowned. "Howard, where on earth did you get that shirt?"

The older man looked down at his clothing. "Midii made it for me. I admit, it took a little begging and some free necklaces on my part, but she made me a whole bunch."

Zechs took another look at the green shirt covered in pink flowers. He merely shook his head and left the silversmith standing in his shop, wondering why no one liked his shirt.

*

"I don't want to go in," Quatre said. He tightened his hold on Trowa's shoulders and buried his face in his shirt. "Please, no."

Trowa put his arms under Quatre's thighs and back and picked him up, letting him hold on as tight as he wanted. The blanket still managed to cover the small body. "I know you don't want to, but we have to. It's getting dark. More assassins might come and I don't want to lose you." Any more than I have already.

He walked through the garden, nodding to a pair of guards at the door, and carried Quatre back into the palace. Several servants and guards passed by, but all of them kept their eyes lowered.

"Then...then the garden," the blonde whispered. "The one Wufei grows all the weird plants, we can sleep there."

"It's too open," Trowa said. "You know that. I'm taking you back to our room."

Quatre started crying. "I don't want to. It's small and dark."

"You're not alone. I'm with you. In the morning we'll get up and I'll take you back to the garden." They came to their room and Trowa closed the door behind them. Quatre still had his eyes shut tight, so the king shut the closet door, cutting the little room from view. Once sure that the window was locked, he sat down on the bed, his slave still in his lap.

"It's all right. Calm down."

Quatre only shook harder, acting as if the room was freezing. Trowa threw the blankets back and lay the blonde down, and then settled next to him, pulling the blankets back over him. His lover's shaking didn't stop when he was covered up by the heavy cloth, but he edged closer, trying to hide in his master's arms.

"You're safe, love. It'll never happen again, I promise. I'll keep you safe."

Quatre opened his eyes and shrunk back further. "Can you leave a light on? So it's not so dark."

"All right, a little light." Trowa made the motion of snapping his fingers, but his skin only slid together. At the far end of the room, one light crystal gave off a dim glow. "That better?"

Quatre nodded once. "Thank you."

Trowa held one hand in his and began rubbing the sore muscles. "Go to sleep, little one. I'll be right here."

A few minute later, Quatre's hand turned heavy, and Trowa looked at his slave's face. Fast asleep, he still moaned and tossed about, crying and snuggling closer. Trowa embraced him and drew him close, resigning himself to a long, sleepless night.

*

Duo woke up with his face pressed against Heero's neck and a crushing weight around his chest. Fighting to draw in a breath, he pushed against his master's chest and only felt what he now realized were Heero's arms constrict even tighter. His head started to hurt, and he pushed as hard as he could.

"Heero..."

"Heero, wake up."

"Please."

The king's eyes opened, and he stared at his slave for a moment. "Duo?"

Heero's arms slacked out of his confusion, and Duo managed a short breath. When he pushed farther, though, Heero tensed. Duo stopped struggling and looked up. His master smiled.

"Trying to get away, slave?"

Duo opened his mouth, but only squeaked something out.

"No." Heero let him go, but only long enough to shove one of his shoulders down to the ground, forcing his face down into the cloak. "No. You're mine."

Duo put his hands out to push himself up, and Heero leaned on his back until the slave winced and stopped moving. Heero dug one knee into the middle of Duo's legs, chuckling when he felt the muscles clench and draw together. He rocked back and forth on that knee, working it down, and pushed it between his legs to the floor. Spreading him out farther, Heero used his free hand to grab the waistband of Duo's pants.

Duo screwed his eyes shut and tears slipped out. "No...Heero, stop. Please stop."

"All mine." Heero spared a moment to push Duo's braid to the side and stroke his cheek. "I'll never let you go. You'll always belong to me." He took a hold of Duo's pants again and started to pull.

Duo's eyes opened as wide as they possibly could, his hands curled into claws around the blanket, and he screamed.

The pressure on his back disappeared, as did the hand on his waist and the legs between his. Something heavy hit the wall behind him, and he rolled on his back, pushing himself halfway up. He looked just in time to see Heero hit the floor and slide to a stop against the far wall. The king snarled, the tattered edge of his torn cloak trailing behind him, and stood up.

"Disobedient toy."

Duo scooted back as Heero stepped closer. Across the room, one of the chairs rattled and slid over the floor, slamming into him. He kicked at the chair, breaking it, and kept moving. The other chair actually came off the floor a few inches and hit his chest, but it broke into pieces on impact. Heero fell to his knees in front of Duo and raised his fist. As he brought his hand down, though, Duo lunged forward and tackled Heero. They rolled on the floor, coating themselves in dust and sand, but Duo kept his hands wrapped around Heero so the stronger boy couldn't land a real hit.

Something bright flashed in his peripheral vision, and he reached up without thinking. His fingers curled around the cold round sphere, and when Heero finally pushed him back, he heard a metallic snap and the stone came with him.

Separated by several feet, Duo looked at Heero, hand around his throat as if hurt, and Heero stared at his slave, who held the zero jewel in one hand.

"Duo?" Heero looked at his hand and found blood smeared on his skin. He ran his fingers over his neck and exhaled when the blood came from a small cut on the back of his neck.

Duo ignored the jewel in his hand, choosing instead to look at the broken chairs spread across the floor. He shook his head. I moved them. I know I did. But I didn't touch them. So I couldn't have moved them. But they moved. No one else was here. Heero didn't move them. So I moved them. Yes. Without touching them. But I couldn't have...without...but I did...

The jewel slipped from his fingers and hit the floor. A long crack ran up the middle and split it perfectly in half.

And I threw Heero across the room. I pushed him. Trapped. I pushed him. Without moving. I pushed him. I pushed him. Without touching him.

"Duo?"

Heero crawled closer. He waved his hand in front of Duo's eyes, and his slave didn't respond. Didn't blink. He put his ear against Duo's chest and found a heart beat. Sitting back with a frown, he repeated what he'd done when his slave had been crying. Moving his lover's limp body on his lap was hard enough, but after a moment he had Duo arranged comfortably in his arms. He glanced out the window at a starry night.

"We have to get home." Not waiting for an answer, pocketed the zero pieces and cradled Duo, carrying him downstairs and ignoring the scattering children as he took to the streets to return to the palace.

*

Author's Notes:

1. I don't care if it is odd for people in the early middle east to be using Japanese suffixes, it's still cute!

2. Catnep: Yes, it's catnip, just an older spelling. It's good for soothing nerves. Pour one pint boiling water over one ounce of catnip and cover. Can be sweetened with honey. Drink hot as a tea.

3. Her workshop.

*

KC: Mm, ya notice how these chapters are longer than the first ones?

Wufei: Or at least they seem so.

Quatre: I'm tired of being compared to a kitten! What's with the catnip, huh? I'm human.

Trowa: *skritches behind Quatre's head*

Quatre: *falls into Trowa's lap and purrs*

All: Awww.

Treize: Hmm. *skritches behind Wufei's head*

Wufei: I'm not a kitten, baka.

Treize: *kisses Wufei*

Wufei: *melts into his arms*

Treize: I just did that so you'd turn around. *takes Wufei off stage*

Zechs: *sits with ice pack on his eye* Damn, Noin hits hard.

Treize: *pokes head from behind curtain* Want to join us?

Zechs: *drops ice pack* Sure! *runs off stage*

Duo: Ooh, 13 x 5 x 6 lives!

Heero: I thought you were catatonic.

Duo: Oh, right. *snores*

KC: Man, everyone gets some but me. I'm going to sleep now.

Heero: You promised once to finish this fic before the year was out.

KC: Mm. Damn. I'm gonna be busy over the holidays. I'll try...zzz...

Heero: Cop out.


On To Chapter 33

Back to Heero + Duo
Back to Quatre + Trowa
Back to Wufei + Other
Back to Multiple Pairings

Back to Main Archive