Willing Slave Chapter 33
By: KC

*****

KC: Eee, so many wonderful reviews and emails. Happy happy happy.

Heero: You really need some self-esteem.

KC: Ooh, but look at all these nice people! "Please continue," "I love this fic," "You can't stop there," "keep going..."

Wufei: What about all these comments about how long the plot and conspiracy is taking?

KC: It's a conspiracy, darn it! They aren't resolved overnight. Don't worry, the battle's coming up. Riddles will be answered, people will die, and things will be wrapped up just right for the sequel.

Quatre: So there will be a sequel?

KC: I'm pretty sure. After all, someone plotted J's death to be much later than he really died, so it's pretty obvious if you've seen the series and Endless Waltzzz...zzz...

Trowa: Wake up!

KC: Wah, wanna go sleepy...

Treize: After you finish this chapter.

KC: *sniffle* Sleepy...*yawn* Go beddy bye...

Duo: You can go beddy bye later. Write.

KC: Meanies!

*

Heero's breathing was the only noise in the street, aside from a few rats scratching their way through a house wall. He still held Duo in his arms and hugged him close to reassure himself that at least his slave's body was still there. Now he just had to get him back to the palace and under Sally's care.

He looked around the building corner at the two guards standing at the main gate. The more he thought about it, the more he knew he couldn't go in that way. They would see their prince, who could not leave until the king had died, and draw the most logical conclusion. Or they might not recognize him and attack, and with his arms full... Or they might just tell someone they'd seen their prince outside the walls. Now he couldn't even rely on the dark of night to hide himself, since early rays of sunlight were already turning the sky pale violet and the torches had been doused.

Heero nodded to himself and moved around the clump of buildings until he stood at a clear part of the white wall surrounding his palace. He could hear the guards stomping around inside the grounds, the increased number making them sound like a small herd of elephants.

How does anyone sleep with all that noise?

After glancing around to make sure they were alone, he set Duo on the ground, sitting him up against the wall and holding him upright. "Duo? Duo, wake up."

His slave's eyes fluttered a little, but nothing else. He checked Duo's breathing and pulse, but they were only a little slower than usual, as if he were asleep. But I don't want to shake him. It might not even help at all. And I can't climb over with him in my arms. "Duo?"

Footsteps thudded on the ground behind him, and he turned, drawing his knife as he did. No one in sight, but he could hear a small group heading towards them, loud voices talking and squabbling with each other. Merchants, he decided, getting ready for another day.

He slipped the knife away and put his hands on Duo's shoulders. "Please wake up. Duo? Please. There are people coming. I...I know I hurt you, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to."

Duo didn't move.

The footsteps were getting closer. Heero closed his eyes and leaned forward until his head lay on Duo's shoulder. "Duo, I need you. You have to wake up. I can't carry you across." He lowered his arms and nestled further against Duo's body, beginning to shake. The merchants were only a few feet away now. "Please."

Duo blinked a few times, yawning as if waking from a long nap. Feeling his master huddling in front of him, he put his arms out and hugged him close, surprised when Heero froze. "Heero? What's wrong?" His master moved, grazing a sore spot on his side. Duo winced and put a hand on that spot. What the he...oh yeah. We fought...and...oh yeah...He looked down at Heero. Why on earth was he shivering? Mornings weren't that cold.

He understood when he heard the merchants heading towards them. "Oh...poor Heero." He tightened his hug and looked up at the wall. Well...let's see if my curse can get us out of this one.

Heero heard the merchants turn the corner, knew they were in plain sight, knew that if they were recognized, the entire city would know that the old king was dead, the new one was only a frightened boy...the panic that would ensue, the possible coup attempts, the streets would...streets?

He opened his eyes and looked down. The street lay about twenty feet down, and the merchants had not thought to look up. Heero held perfectly still as he and Duo cleared the top of the wall and landed on the other side, both of them sitting behind a large tree and out of sight.

For a moment, Duo didn't move, happy just to hold Heero and focus only on his lover's breathing, the way his body relaxed and stopped shaking. Then Heero backed away a few inches and looked into Duo's eyes.

"Did you do that?"

Duo forced a smile that didn't reach his eyes. "Yeah. Glad the curse is good for something."

"'Curse'?" Heero frowned and tilted his head.

"Sister was right, all that stealing caught up with me." He lowered his head and stared at the grass. "I guess maybe if I do enough penance..."

Heero put his hands on either side of Duo's face, forcing him to look up. His slave winced at how tight he was holding him, and Heero winced in sympathy. He hadn't meant to hold him like that. He eased his hold so that he could barely feel Duo's skin on his fingers.

"It isn't a curse," he said. "It's a gift."

"Only demons and sorcerers can do that," Duo whispered. "It's unnatural. Unclean."

"Is Quatre unclean? Is Wufei?"

Duo backed out of his hands and pressed against the wall behind him. "You knew."

Heero lowered his hands. "Yes."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Duo brought his legs up under himself, shrinking from his master.

"I was afraid you'd react like this. It's not a curse--"

"It is. It is." Duo raised his fist to his lips. "It's a punishment. Nothing good'll come of it."

A faint smile crossed Heero's face. "You saved my life."

Duo stared unblinking for a moment. "I...no, I caught that arrow."

Heero shook his head. "No, you stopped that arrow before you touched it. I'd be dead if it weren't for your gift."

"I...really?"

The king nodded. "I swear it."

Duo said nothing.

He's going to need some time to absorb all this. Heero stood up and stretched his arms before reaching one hand to Duo. "Let's go in. We have to see what those zero things did while we were gone."

With a faraway look in his eyes, Duo took his hand and stood up. "Uh huh...Trowa and Treize, right...oh no. Quatre and Wufei..."

*

Quatre put his arms around himself and shivered even though there was no wind in his little room. Lit only by a single candle, the cramped corners of the walls and his bed made the cell seem like the small space was contracting even tighter around him. He looked at the pile of books on the floor. He'd read all of them. The tray with his scant meal rations hadn't been brought in a long time. Where was the maid? Had she forgotten about him? Had they all forgotten about him? Maybe there'd been a war, and everyone was dead, and the invading army didn't know about him. He started to cry.

"Am I ever going to leave this place?" he asked no one.

One of the books opened by itself, and pages flipped into the air, swirling above him in a whirlwind while a single page floated down. There were no words, only one picture of a tower, upside down.

Quatre sniffled. "Reversed tower. Regaining freedom, but only at a high cost." He looked up at the swirling mess of paper. "What would I have to give up?"

Another page, this time a picture of the sun with a face in the middle. Upside down.

He frowned and leaned forward. "The reversed sun? But that could mean so many things, love, future, home...what will happen if I do get out of here?"

Another picture came down, this time of a pale rider dressed in black, a scythe in his hand.

"Reversed death? So this would end, but nothing could replace it. Stagnation and disaster." He wiped his tears away and sighed. "Why is everything reversed? That never happens, even when I cast for Trowa..." He stopped. "Trowa. Wait, how...I haven't been in this place for years. Am I dreaming?"

A page floated down and fell to rest on the bed. A picture of himself hanging by one foot greeted him, except the card was upside down again.

"False vision and dreams," Quatre whispered. "Misinterpretations. What have I been interpreting for? I'm not trapped in this cell anymore..." What else am I trapped in?

"Trowa." He sat back, and now the cell was gone, leaving only the candle and the pages still hanging above him. "I've been wondering if I'll ever leave Trowa." He scanned the cards he'd read and sighed. "If I gain my freedom, bad things will happen. And if I stay his slave forever?"

One more card slipped out and landed in front of him. The Empress. Right side up.

"Fertility and needs fulfilled," he read. "Good things." He ran his fingers over the page's surface, rippling the picture as if it were water. "I remember you. I saw you the first night I slept beside Trowa." He picked up the candle and stared into the flame for awhile. "At least that hasn't changed. I need to dream these fortunes more often. I might have seen this coming."

He blew lightly on the flame, making it jump and dance. "And does Trowa truly love me?"

A drop of wax dripped from the top and cascaded down the right side of the candle. He smiled and blew out the light.

Quatre opened his eyes and found his master staring at him, the taller boy wrapped around him and smoothing his hair back. "Trowa?"

The young monarch smiled. "You're awake. How do you feel?"

He snuggled closer, pushing his face against his lover's chest. "A little better."

Trowa pulled the blankets up around Quatre's back, taking the time to look over his love's small body. The bruises on the blonde's thin body had only paled a little, making him resemble a rag doll, or even more accurately, a cracked china doll. He pressed a kiss to the warm forehead and slid his arm down around the slim waist. "It's still early. You can get some more sleep."

Quatre craned his neck and looked into Trowa's eyes. "Maybe you, too. Have you been holding me all night?"

Trowa nodded.

The slave smiled and hugged him back. "Sleep with me, then."

A knock at the door made Trowa stiffen, and he stared at the door while his free hand went for the knife under his pillow. "Who is it?"

On the other side of the door, Heero didn't touch the door handle. "Just me. Are you and Quatre all right?"

Trowa relaxed and lay back down. "We're both well enough. Is Duo still alive?"

Duo, hands folded behind his head, smiled. "Oh yeah, I'm fine, thanks for asking. Heero's the one who got a little roughed up, but he's--mmph..."

Heero stood behind Duo and kept one hand clamped over his mouth. "Good. I'll see you at a later hour, Trowa. We have things to discuss."

"Understood." He listened to his brother's footsteps disappear down the hall, and once they were gone, he looked back at his own slave, who was not only smiling, but quivering with muffled giggles. Confused, Trowa still smiled at the sparkle back in his Quatre's eyes. "Little one?"

Quatre yawned. "Duo's funny."

"I suppose." He kissed him again, this time on the pale and warm cheek. "Back to sleep. You've got a slight fever." He waited for a response, but none came. When he looked down, he smiled. Quatre was already fast asleep, snoring lightly.

*

Duke Dermail sat at his desk, his head perched on his clasped hands, and stared at the little mess of documents and maps before him. Also on the table lay the box he kept his rubies in, all the jewels counted and not all accounted for. Most damning of all, though, were the open windows he'd found, one in the garden and his own window left slightly ajar.

His door opened, and he glanced towards it. Four men walked in and closed the door behind them. All of them wore long white coats, the cloth covered in red stains drying to a dull brown. Their features, no longer normal, had twisted over the years until they were only caricatures of the men they'd once been.

One stepped forward, hands in his coat pockets, looking through his mushroom hair. "You called us here for a reason?"

Dermail didn't return his look. "Someone knows about us."

The most normal one of the bunch, a smaller man with a twisted mustache, tilted his head. "Your granddaughter?"

"I'm beginning to think telling that girl was a mistake," Dermail said. "I should've known she was loyal to Relena. We have to consider that Relena and J know about our plans."
Mushroom head chuckled. "I wouldn't worry about J. I know for a fact he died very recently."

Dermail leaned back in his chair and looked up, but he stared at a point behind the necromancers. "How do you know?"

"I cast the spell, I should know. In any case, the little whelp is all we'll have to contend with now."

"And their sorcerer," the one with the fake nose said. "He's their strongest asset now."

On the other end, Laoshi O glanced at him. "Chang Wufei is not to be killed or mangled."

A collective sigh went up from the other necromancers, and the mustached man folded his arms.

"Enough with that tired refrain," he said, closing his eyes. "We're sick of hearing it. Mustn't hurt the boy, mustn't kill him...do you mind if he takes a few scratches? Or should we give him a bath and perfume him and wrap him in ribbons for you?"

Mushroom head laughed. "He'd probably like that."

"Him or the boy?"

Dermail held his hand up, hushing them. "Regardless, we have to strike before they get a chance to gather their forces. We have to move things up."

The necromancers all gave him sidelong glances that he didn't meet. "What do you mean?" Metal-Nose asked.

"We attack in three days."

Squawks of protest filled the room, as did an electric tingle that rose with their tempers.

"But the Libra spell--"

"We need time to test--"

"Not enough dolls yet--"

Dermail started as their emotions sparked the papers and charred some of them to ash before he could smother the flames. He pushed the smoldering pile onto the floor and leaned back again. "If you're quite finished throwing a temper tantrum, you'd best get back to work. From the way you were whining, it sounds like you have plenty to do."

Mushroom head stuck his hands back in his pockets. "Why don't you ever look us in the eye, Dermail? It's impolite not to look at us when you're ordering us around."

Dermail kept his stare locked on the burn marks in his desk. "Everyone knows better than to look a necromancer in the eye."

Laoshi O opened the door and left, followed by the others, and Metal Nose slammed the door behind himself. Dermail let out a breath and slumped in his chair. If it weren't for the promise of positions in the new kingdoms that they were about to win, those monsters likely would've had his own heart on the altar of their spells. He took out a sheet of paper and a quill pen and began to write. Hopefully Dekim Barton would be a little more understanding of the needed rush than his sorcerers had been.

*

Wufei sat up in bed, resting against several pillows and swamped under three blankets, with two documents spread before him. He scanned over them with one hand while keeping the broken arm hidden under the covers.

"You said these came from Dermail's home?" he asked, tilting one of the pages to catch the sunlight better.

Sitting beside the bed, Heero nodded. "Right off his desk. What does it say?"

"That he intends to leave after the war is won." He turned to the next page and continued reading, and then smiled faintly. "Ah. So I was right. They've been after me all along."

"Why?"

"Laoshi O wrote that he wants me captured so he can take me back to my clan."

"I thought they exiled you."

"It seems they need me now. I'd wondered what that part of the riddle meant, 'return the unclean protection to the dying dragons'. I am the unclean protection. My clan is dying. Of course, it's been two years since I saw them last. They may be dead now."

"That explains at least one of those names," Heero said, looking back over the small list. "It looks like Dermail's bought the services of a few other sorcerers."

Wufei closed his eyes and sighed. "Of all the times to be injured...four sorcerers to fight."

"And an army," Heero said. "That's decided it. We have to attack soon, before they get too far along."

"I hate to say this, but they may be ready to attack even now." Wufei rubbed the back of his neck. "Or else they wouldn't have tried so many assassination attempts. If Dermail notices this theft, he'll suspect we know."

Heero stood up and went to the window, staring over the white walls of his palace and the city outside. "Dorothy said the same when she came back. Well, at least Barton can't get his forces here anytime soon."

"Neither can Relena."

Heero shrugged. "We have Dorothy. She's their strongest fighter. I don't know if you'll want their sorcerer's help."

Wufei shook his head. "I'm not fainting anymore, but he still looks like he's decomposing."

Heero smirked and let that subject drop. "How badly are you injured?"

"A broken arm, a few cuts and bruises...I'll live. It's healing quickly anyway." He looked up at Heero. "And Duo? Treize said he was asleep..."

"He is. It was a hard night," the king said. "But he's fine. I only managed a few punches before he threw me into a wall and followed up with a table."

"He threw you?" Wufei shook his head. "I didn't think he was that strong."

"Not physically. But mentally, he can probably move whatever he wants to."

"Mentally?" He breathed in deep. "A telekinetic?"

Heero looked at him. "What?"

"Telekinetics. It means he can move things with his mind. I read about them when I was still in the clan. They're very rare." He shifted to a more comfortable position under the blankets. "Poor Duo. If he'd known before, he wouldn't have had such a hard life."

"He must have used it a little, instinctually," Heero said. "To run rings around Treize like that takes a lot more than skill and luck. Which reminds me..." He glanced at the broken signet on the nightstand. "I spoke to Treize earlier today. He says you aren't his slave anymore."

Wufei followed his gaze and smiled. "No. I am free again."

"Well, since he's released his slave, it seems I am in need of a sorcerer. Would you like the job?"

The sorcerer stared, too surprised to speak.

"I admit, the pay isn't great, you'd be in constant danger and on call all day and night, and we seem to be on the verge of war..."

Wufei chuckled. "True, but living in the palace is much better than living anywhere else. I accept."

Heero nodded. "Good. I'll let you rest some more. I need to speak to my brother in any case."

Wufei watched him leave with a satisfied smile.

What are you so happy about? Nataku asked from her spot on the table. You're just getting bits of gold, nothing else.

"Those bits of gold are important," he said. "I've been having a reoccurring dream of wrapping Treize in nothing but silver jewelry and chains, and I'll need gold to do that."

She puffed smoke in annoyance. Humans. Is sex all you ever think about?

"No," he said. "Saving the kingdom from invasion occasionally comes up, too."

*

Relena gazed out the window of her royal guest room, finding the garden much more interesting than the lack of decorations inside. Obviously the palace had been furnished by men who favored Spartan styles over anything that would be considered unnecessary clutter, since the most decorative things in the entire place was the detailing on the tiles. She smoothed out her red vest and skirt, the most colorful things in the room, and yawned.

A mass of blonde hair popped up in front of her face. "Miss Relena, I'm back."

Relena nearly fell out of her chair. Dorothy grinned and climbed in through the window, falling to her knees in front of her queen. She giggled when Relena scowled and lay her head in her lap.

"You shouldn't startle me like that," the queen said. "I might have screamed."

"That would've made it even nicer."

Relena shook his head slowly and ran her hand along Dorothy's long hair. "You were gone for quite awhile."

"Yes. I met our host and his slave there. Grandfather's going to find his ruby hoard greatly depleted." Dorothy's smile faded. "Things are farther along than I would've liked."

"What do you mean?" She put her hand under her foster's chin and tilted her face up.

"Grandfather wants you dead by my hand."

Relena smiled. "Then it's a good thing I already have you in my hand. Dorothy, I don't want you to go back there again."

Dorothy pushed herself halfway up, clenching her hands into fists. "But Miss Relena, I learn things there. I have to keep up appearances."

"Dorothy, think," Relena whispered. "Duke Dermail will return to his room to find himself robbed, and the one person who knows where he keeps everything is his granddaughter."

"But Miss Relena--"

"No, Dorothy. You stay here." She squeezed her foster's hands and held her close. "You know what will happen if you go back. I don't want to lose you."

Dorothy broke the embrace and stood, straightening her skirt and sword belt. "As you will."

Relena watched her move to the other side of the room, unbuttoning the tight maroon vest and shrugging it off onto the bed. "I'm sorry."

Dorothy paused for a moment. "Forgive me. You know what I'm like when I get tired. Will you join me in the baths?"

The queen smiled. "It would be the safest place in the entire palace." She stood up, stretching muscles sore from too much sitting, and gazed out the window again. A block of soldiers, much larger than those she'd seen before, stood in the grass along the corner of the walls, apparently receiving orders from their commander. A female commander, too, judging by the curves in the uniform. Relena paid a bit more attention, taking the rare opportunity to see another woman in the palace not in a servant's outfit.

And then someone else walked into view, standing beside the female commander and facing the soldiers. Someone with long blonde hair and a few inches on her.1

"Another woman?" Relena leaned forward, placing her hands on the window sill. No, it was a man. He turned once, swishing his long hair around. Relena blinked in the glare, as did most of the men on the field. While he conversed with his co-commander, though, he happened to look up at the sky, and then at the palace itself.

Relena took a step back, and the motion caught Zech's eye. For a moment, neither moved.

"Miliardo," she whispered.

Dorothy whirled, seeing her too late at the window.

"Relena," Zechs said out loud.

Noin turned towards him. "What?"

Zechs shook his head and turned back to the White Fang force. "Nothing. Continue."

Back in her room, Relena turned her head one way, glancing at him sideways. "My brother. Here all the time." She smiled and clasped her hands together. "I've finally found you."

*

Author's Notes:

1. People with perverted minds will grasp the symbolism here. Yes, it's intentional.

*

KC: Mm, probably just a couple more chapters to go, maybe three.

Duo: Praise the Lord...

Heero: And then a damn sequel.

All:...ugh...

Quatre: Will you update this sooner?

Wufei: Yeah, like faster than this chapter came out?

KC: Hey, I updated in just a little over a month. Some authors should be so quick.

Trowa: Uh oh, she's in her bitch mood.

KC: *hiss*

Quatre: Careful, Trowa, she bites.

Duo: So, not before the end of the year?

KC: Not unless I learn how to split myself off, and even then, three of me wouldn't be able to do it.

Zechs: Bummer.

KC: Oh, you want to read it that fast?

Zechs: No, I want it to end that fast.

KC: I would hit you but I'm too sleepy. Now I can go beddy bye...

Trowa: What about the next chapter?

KC: O.O *keels over*

Wufei: *nudges KC with a toe* Think she'll notice if we take some of her Christmas gifts?

Duo: Woo hoo, let's go snag some presents!

*****


On To Chapter 34

Back to Heero + Duo
Back to Quatre + Trowa
Back to Wufei + Other
Back to Multiple Pairings

Back to Main Archive