Willing Slave Chapter 22
By: KC

Willing Slave

Warnings: shonen ai, yaoi, violence, tiny tiny implied yuri,

Setting: Alternative Universe, in a fantasy past

Disclaimers: Gundam Wing characters belong to Mixx Entertainment, Koichi Tokita, the SOTSU Agency, Sunrise, Kodansha and anyone I may have forgotten, not to me. I make no money off of this.

KC: Hi guys, I'm back...

Duo: (in Poltergeist voice) She's heeere...

Heero: I thought you have finals.

KC: I do. In fact, I took one today.

Wufei: And...?

KC: Um, I can't say. I don't wanna jinx it.

Wufei: What? Silly superstition over your scholarly studies! Weak onna!

KC: *smacks him with a fan*

Wufei: Ow!

Treize: Oh, my poor baby! *cuddles him*

Wufei: Stop it! Not in front of everyone!

KC: Welp, today's the day!

Duo: To eat a dozen pizzas in a row?

Quatre: To drink a chocolatey milkshake?

KC: Food...be right back, I'm gonna make Ramen...

Trowa: Good thinking, stalling like that.

Duo: Huh?

Quatre: Now I'M hungry!

KC: All done, here ya go! *passes out six other bowls*

Quatre: This isn't pork flavored, is it?

KC: Nope, Shrimp.

Quatre: Yummy!

All: *slurp*slurp*slurp*

KC: While we're eating...the Wufei torture story is in here...so see ya at the bottom!

*

Duo lay draped over Heero's knee, one arm dangling while the other cushioned his head on Heero's lap. He heaved what must have been his hundredth sigh in one hour and closed his eyes again. The promise of royal splendor and music, along with all the warnings he'd received, had made the court seem like something deadly and dangerous and alluring all at once. And instead, he felt royally tricked. He noticed Wufei standing near the kitchen doors, arms crossed over his white jacket with Nataku curled up on his shoulder. His staff was nowhere to be seen. Even the stoic sorcerer seemed bored.

"Summer's here with love again,

With blossom and with birds' refrain

From hazel bushes springing.

Dew is dropping in the dale

And, longing like the nightingale

The birds are gladly singing"

Duo sighed once more and snuggled his face against Heero's thighs, wishing they were both back in bed, or that Heero was kissing him as they got dressed, or better yet, that they were taking a walk in the garden, or even just running along the wall--

"Bored?" Heero asked in a whisper.

Duo looked up and caught the fleeting smile that told him the prince felt exactly the same. "I thought it would be...better," he murmured back.

Heero caressed Duo's hair, stroking along the ribbons and jeweled pendants to rub one of his shoulders. "These are some of the best minstrels in the land," he said. "But you wouldn't know it."

Duo bit back his laugh and curled closer. "But Wufei's decorations are nice," he admitted.

Heero looked up at the banquet hall, ignoring the throng and taking in the magical adornments. The sorcerer had nearly gone with a nighttime motif until Treize convinced him safety was more important, so instead he'd kept the lighting low enough for a dinner setting by placing hundreds of his flameless lights around the tables and walls. Mirrors hung along the walls to reflect the light, all of them made of what looked like normal glass, but Heero could easily use the small mirror next to his throne to see through each and every one. The chandelier in the ceiling was merely illusion, but it glittered like spun crystal in three tiers. Instead of the real white tile floor, there seemed to be a clear sheet over a huge pond full of big goldfish. One of them swam underneath Duo, stared at him with its mouth gaping, and zoomed off again. Duo smiled in awe, and a second later he heard Quatre clap softly as the fish did the same to him.

"Yes," Heero agreed. "It's nice enough."

"You seem most loath to tell the tale

Of all those heroes' shame!

A thousand ladies I could show

And none there sitting in a row

Would be of evil fame."

Quatre, dressed in dark blue with white ribbons and trim, stretched out a little more along Trowa's legs. "Tro--Master...?"

Trowa gave him a slight, indulgent smile that faded with boredom as soon as it came. "Yes, little one?"

"Could we get some pretty goldfish at home?" he asked. "In a little pond?"

Trowa ran his fingers into the soft blonde hair and stared deep into his slave's bright blue eyes. "Perhaps...maybe in the small garden pond. But remember, there are few merchants who can bring fish so far in land." He reached over and picked up a halved slice of orange, slightly raising Quatre's veil to feed him.

Sated for awhile longer, Quatre sucked on his fruit and went back to watching the various noblemen, honored guests, and invited monarchy. Dressed in a blue gown with white gloves, Queen Relena wore only a simple diadem to show her royal status, while Dorothy Catalonia stood just behind her, one hand resting on the ceremonial blade at her waist. She'd come in the more traditional red vest and lighter skirt of the Sank kingdom, but Quatre had no doubt she could move easily in it. He recognized Relena's advisor Wayridge beside her, while her own personal servant, Pargan, sat on her other side. And all around them were her loyal maidens and hand servants, attending to her every need.

"Your royal highness," Treize whispered, stepping close to Heero without seeming to. "Her majesty has received your message and sends me to tell you she agrees to your proposition."

Heero nodded. "Once the banquet is finished, we will retire to the library. Escort her there at her leisure."

Treize straightened and returned to the background, blending in with his guards.

Duo waited until he was gone before looking back up at Heero. "How come Zechs an' Noin aren't here? I thought Treize would want those two close by."

Heero put his fingers on Duo's veil, pressing his lips through the thin cloth. "I'll tell you later tonight, when no one is near. It's a secret." Seeing that Duo was about to ask another question, he plucked a few grapes from his own bowl and popped them into Duo's mouth one at a time. The thief knew he was being hushed, but he only smirked, his eyes warning Heero there would be some roughhousing in bed later on.

"Give us another song," one of the courtiers ordered the minstrel, tossing a golden coin at his feet. The minstrel made an exaggerated bow, sweeping up the coin, and began to play.

"All night by the rose, rose,

All night by the rose I lay;

I dared not steal the rose-tree,

But I bore the flower away."

Heero leaned close so only Duo could hear him. "That courtier is Septem, part of the inner Romefeller group. But he is not so well liked and is left out most of the time."

Duo nodded and watched the man and his associates, but he couldn't see who was talking to who or what about, and he said so.

"Exactly. They are brilliant diplomats, Duo. They know a million different ways to say nothing and promise nothing, while getting promises out of you."

Duo gazed up at him. "Then how do you keep from promising anything?"

Heero gently stroked his throat while holding one of his hands. "Don't talk to them. If they do speak to you, let me know immediately."

"I am Rose, alas for me,

Though sweeter than the sweet I be;

I grow in pain and misery,

For the hand of churl has done for me."

"Trowa!"

The harsh whisper caught their attention, and they glanced over to see an extremely agitated Quatre tugging at Trowa's sleeve. His eyes, wide and frightened, couldn't focus on anything for more than a few seconds before jumping to something else.

"What's the matter?" Trowa asked.

"Something's wrong," he whispered. "Something...bad feelings. I just felt a wave of hate...it's so strong, but it feels like it's far away." He closed his eyes, trying to push out every sense but his sixth.

"How many?" Heero asked.

"Two, I think," Quatre answered. "At least, I feel it from two different directions."

"Where?"

Quatre looked over near Relena.

His own anxiety building, Duo scanned the room and allowed his gaze to wander out the window. He could barely see the stars for all the light in the banquet hall, and he was about to turn away when a flicker of motion made him look again.

He narrowed his eyes. If he concentrated he could just make out a shadowy figure running along the outer wall. Duo squeezed Heero's hand, but as soon as his hand tightened, the figure crouched down. Duo spotted the bow a split-second before the arrow was notched, drawn, and fired.

"Heero," he whispered.

Time slowed. He heard Trowa shout something, felt Heero's muscles shifting beneath his own, but there was no time to do anything. Acting on impulse, he put his hand up. Miraculously, his fingers closed over the arrow's shaft, holding it tight. When he looked back up, the tip was a mere handbreadth from Heero's left eye.

Heero snatched the arrow from his hand and stared up at the window, but too late. The figure had gone.

There was a second scream from Queen Relena's area as the maidens alternatingly stumbled back, swooned, or threw themselves protectively on the queen. Only Dorothy made herself useful, also holding an arrow inches from Relena's head.

"Two angles," Heero muttered. "Two assassins. Treize, seal off the palace, send your men out!"

Wasting no time replying, the captain vanished out of the front doors, which immediately closed. Not to be outdone, Dorothy sprinted to the nearest window and jumped up, nimbly catching the sill and climbing out, drawing her blade at the same time.

"Nataku, go with them!" Wufei watched his dragon soar out of the window and into the dark sky. "Be safe," he whispered.

To their credit, the courtiers stopped shrieking after a minute and settled down at their seats. Heero stood, as did Trowa, helping their slaves up with them. "My apologies," Heero started in a calm voice, "for the interruption. I'm certain my men will have it under control immediately. However, I think it wise if you all retire to your rooms for now. The masquerade will continue as scheduled later tonight."

With that, Heero and Trowa led their slaves to the doors. Just before they left, Heero turned back and motioned for Wufei to follow. Duo frowned as they kept walking. He didn't recognize any of these halls, and he knew for a fact they weren't heading to their rooms. After a few minutes, Heero stopped at a small, unimpressive door and opened it.

"Duo, you and Wufei stay in here until I come back." He looked up and down the hall just to make sure the group was alone. "The discussion with Relena shouldn't take very long."

Knowing he didn't have much time, Duo put his arms around Heero and hugged him. "You'll be careful, won't you?"

Heero pulled Duo's veil away and kissed him before he stepped back. "I'll be fine. Now go and don't let anyone else in." He waited until Wufei and Duo were safely inside and the bolt thrown before he rejoined Trowa and Quatre.

"I'm going to put Quatre in our room," Trowa said as they walked. "I have three of his personal guard there, they should be enough to protect him. I'm sure the rest of his Maganacs are hunting with Treize."

Head throbbing from such powerful feelings, Quatre gratefully kissed his master and stumbled into his room. Two Maganacs there gently held him steady and helped him to the bed while the third stood guard at the window. As soon as Quatre was safely stowed away, the adopted brothers headed for the library.

"Quite an eventful night," Trowa remarked casually.

"More than that," Heero replied. Once he was sure they were alone, he turned to face him. "Trowa, that arrow stopped before Duo caught it."

Trowa's brow creased. "What do you mean?"

"It stopped mid-air. Duo knew exactly where to grab it, but that arrow hovered for a second before Duo put his hand around it. By all accounts, it should have gone into me. But it didn't."

"You mean Duo didn't stop it?"

"No, he did. But he stopped it before he touched it."

Trowa crossed his arms. "Has he done this before?"

"Once. He mentioned that the window should close and it did. At the time I though it was just one of Wufei's spells I didn't know about, but now..." He looked up at Trowa. "I think you and Treize no longer have the only special slaves in this palace."

"Does Duo have any idea what he can do?"

"I don't think so." Heero growled low in his throat. "His religion's a problem. They have a taboo on sorcerers."

"So does Wufei's," Trowa pointed out.

Heero shook his head. "I don't think it's quite the same. He's not going to be happy about it."

Trowa could see where the conversation was going. Leave it to Heero to ask for advice in such a roundabout manner. "When Quatre discovered his talents, he didn't want them, either."

"How did you solve it?"

"I held him."

Confused, Heero continued walking.

*

Duo sat down on the small bed in the corner, pushing away the layers of gauzy draperies before kicking his shoes off and climbing up a little farther. "What is this place? It's tiny."

Wufei took his own seat on the other end of the bed, groaning as his muscles relaxed. "This is the inner sanctum. It's where the prince usually takes refuge if an assassin is hired, since there are no windows and the corridor is easily guarded. It's also...also a place to hide someone you don't want anyone to find."

Duo cocked his head curiously. "I don't get it."

"Quatre was kept in a place like this for years."

When Duo's face shifted into something like horrified confusion, Wufei explained. "His sister couldn't afford to let him be seen, or else she might have lost her kingdom. Instead she kept him locked in, hoping he would go insane. That is why he isn't in here now. He is terrified of darkness and small spaces."

"Poor Quatre," Duo whispered. "But he knows Trowa would never do that, right?

Wufei shrugged, sighing wearily. "He knows it, but he is always afraid." Just supposed to be a short banquet and a party, nothing more, maybe get to fall asleep with Treize for a change...damn assassins. Oh, Nataku be safe. "I think he will always be afraid."

"He hides it well."

"So do you."

Duo glanced at him, blinking with a smile. "What do you mean? I'm always happy!"

The sorcerer laughed but shook his head simultaneously. "No, Duo. I am quite capable of looking through masks." Including my own. "I sometimes think you're as sorrowful as Quatre."

"Aw, come on, Quatre's downright mopey sometimes."

"And you are easily worried."

"Am not!"

"Are, too!"

"Am not!"

"So you don't worry that Heero's upset with you? That he'll get angry and hurt you? Or just get bored with you?"

Duo decided he'd had enough of this conversation and looked around wildly for something mildly interesting to shift the subject. Instead, he found something that nearly made him panic.

"Wufei, your hands!"

As Duo gasped, Wufei stared in fright at his wrists. Sure enough, his glamour had faded. He focused and struggled to bring the spell back up, but it guttered and vanished again, leaving scarred reality behind. "Damn," he cursed. "Too tired..."

"What happened?" Duo cried, looking around for bandages. "How bad is it? Does it hurt?"

"Relax, it's nothing to worry about," Wufei interrupted him. "They're old wounds."

Duo settled down, but it didn't make him any less concerned. "How'd that happen? It looks painful."

"It's a long story," Wufei said, hoping to discourage him.

No such luck. "We've got plenty of time," Duo said. "And you're a good storyteller."

"How would you know that?" he demanded.

"Well, you can teach, right? So that means you'd be a good storyteller." Duo grinned at his own logic.

Wufei didn't quite follow, but grudgingly caved. "Very well. However, you must promise never to tell Quatre a word of this. If you do, I really will turn you into a kitten."

Duo crossed his heart with a finger. "Cross my heart and hope to die."

Wufei blinked at the odd oath. "Duo, you are very strange," he said slowly. "But in any case...it was right after Treize defeated me at the end of the war."

"How 'd he defeat you?"

"That's another story."

"But Wu--"

"Do you want to hear this or not?"

"Yes, please."

*

Treize carried his newly won prize in his arms and the dragon on his shoulder, ignoring the looks from nearly everyone around him, and hurried to his personal tent. Careful not to hurt Wufei, he set him down on his bed and adjusted the single pillow beneath his head, smoothing back his dark hair. The sorcerer's body was covered in a fine sweat, and every breath came ragged, as if he couldn't get enough air. Nataku nestled out of sight beneath a blanket beside him.

"Where....where...?" he rasped.

Treize lay his fingers on his slave's lips, noting the difference in skin tone and finding it immensely exotic. "You're in my tent," he whispered reassuringly. "You're safe here. I have to attend to Trowa right now, but I'll be back soon. Can you try to rest?"

"Quatre...?"

"Is alive and well. He belongs to Trowa now."

Satisfied with that, Wufei settled down and closed his eyes. Soon after, his breath came evenly. Treize hesitated, then pressed a kiss to the boy's forehead, dismayed at how feverish he felt. He shook his head to himself. He'd have to take care of that later. "I'll be back soon, I promise."

*

"Wait a second," Duo interrupted. "How do you know what he was thinking? Weren't you asleep?"

Wufei looked at him as if he were an idiot, but he didn't voice that opinion. "He told me afterward. There was plenty of time to speak on the trip back here."

"Oh...okay!"

Wufei shook his head with a sigh and continued.

*

As soon as Treize left the tent and disappeared back into the palace, two nearby guards ducked inside the tent and found the sleeping sorcerer. One of them gathered him up into his arms and carried him out, moving carefully so as not to wake him. Covering for each other, they made their way across the city to the slave blocks, which was fortunately closed, but the master was still present. Sold for fifty denars, the guards left him and returned to camp.

*

"Which guards?" Duo broke in. "An' how d'you know how much you were sold for if you were out?"

Wufei struggled to keep his temper. "I don't know because I was asleep, but Treize found out my price later. We don't know who the guards were because I didn't see them. All right?"

"But--"

"Duo, do you want to hear this or not!"

"Sorry." Sheesh, cranky without his Treize.

*

Intending to slap the Chinese boy awake after he was hobbled, the master left him on the floor in a pile of hay and retrieved a pair of wrought iron manacles. The second he put them on his new acquisition, however, the slave screamed in agony before he'd even woken up. The mo--

*

"Why were you screaming?"

That's it, Wufei gave up and decided on the direct approach. "Because iron burns magic."

"But...physically?"

"The magic...has spread throughout my body. It's been part of me ever since I discovered my abilities. If I touch iron, both my body and my spirit are seared." Wufei sighed and lowered his head. "The master thought I was insane. He couldn't get me to quiet down, but thank heaven he didn't see how my wrists were bleeding. He'd have sold me to a private contact otherwise, as an exotic catch, and then Treize would never have found me again."

"How did he find you?"

"He said that by the time Trowa had the kingdom and had put Quatre safely in chains, night had almost fallen and most of the guards were off-duty. When he noticed I was gone, he first thought I had run away, but he found Nataku still asleep in bed. He woke her up and when she stopped biting, she led him right to me."

"How'd she do that?"

Wufei smiled. "She knows exactly where I am, and I know where she is. If I must, I can look through her eyes. She can do the same, but it's disconcerting and she never warns me, so one minute I may be training, and the next I am flat on my back thinking I am flying through the air."

Duo laughed. "Considerate pet."

Wufei shrugged, his smile fading but not disappearing entirely. "Treize says the master lied and said he hadn't bought any new slaves that night. As the conquering second in command, though, he barged in and searched the blocks."

"And he found you?"

Wufei sighed. "Not at first. Have you ever seen the inside of a slave block?"

Duo shook his head.

"They are like stables but for humans. They are cramped and low, two tiered, so that the wooden door opens and the slave inside, leashed to the wall, can be dragged out and presented to the bidders. All of these were open, and I was not inside."

"But...I thought all slaves had to be immediately accessible," Duo argued. "In case of fire."

"This dealer...was not so honest. Normally slaves that cannot be sold are sent to work in the mines, but for him...he sold them to necromancers as spare parts."

Duo winced.

"And since I was too weak to walk and my voice had died screaming...he took me down beneath the blocks and locked me in a cage they keep wild cats in."

"Made of iron?"

Wufei nodded. "But my clothing blocked most of it, and my body was too weak to thrash about anymore. I lay still and burned for what must have been hours, but it felt like days. Until Nataku dived in, breathing fire to light the area, and Treize followed after. He forced the master to unlock the cage." He smiled again. "I never felt so good as when he pulled me free and took the chains off."

"What happened to the master?"

"You know the penalty for selling a free born," Wufei said. "Technically, I still am. War slaves are not sellable, at least not when the laws are observed. That usually only happens in privileged cases, though. In any case, Treize executed him and burned his body so the necromancers couldn't use him, and then he carried me back."

"But...it's been a year, right?" Duo gingerly picked up one hand and, when Wufei let him, examined the scars. "These look fresh."

"You didn't see the original damage. I fell unconscious from shock, but Treize says Sally and Une didn't leave my side for two days, bandaging the burns and keeping my fever low. I hallucinated madly, dreaming that I was back in China or wandering the countryside. And when I woke up, my hands were useless."

"You obviously got them back."

"Only a few weeks after we arrived in Lagrange." Wufei smiled, his eyes staring into the distance. "He took such good care of me. I thought he wouldn't want a broken slave, but I think he loved me all the more for it. He loves to baby me."

"Lucky," Duo griped. "Heero expects me to act my age all the time."

Wufei laughed gently. "My heart bleeds."

*

KC: *slurrp* There, all done!

Duo: That's it?

Wufei: That was my big scene?

KC: *blinks* You said not to drag it out...besides, I didn't wanna have to break out a thesaurus for words like agony, pain, torture...etc.

Treize: It seems...short.

KC: Well, I know what I wanna do for the next chapter, and this is already seven pages...the next two scenes compliment this chapter perfectly. I'm gonna do a Wufei flashback on the journey to Lagrange, and a diplomatic scene with the royalty, and maybe a little fight scene, too. No Dorothy or Relena bashing.

Zechs: Um, why wasn't I at the party?

Quatre: Ack! Secondary character alert!

Trowa: My love, you are such a snob sometimes.

KC: I'll explain that later...hmm, maybe next chapter. With the fight scene with the assassins and Dorothy, who'll recognize--never mind.

Zechs: ?

Heero: Good thing he's a dumb blonde.

Zechs: Huh?

Quatre: Hey!

Blonde readers: Hey!

KC: I didn't do it! It was Heero! Not me!

Quatre: Okay...

KC: I like dumb blondes. They're fun to toy with.

Quatre: Charge! *kicks her*

KC: Eek! Stop!

Wufei: So when will the next chapter be out?

KC: Um...next month?

All: 0.0

Readers: Next...month...?

KC: Sorry, I gotta leave during break, but I swear I'll keep writing.

Duo: Where're you going?

KC: North Carolina, Fayetteville...for three days or so...

Treize: That's not bad...she'll write plenty there...

KC: Then down to Disneyworld and Universal.

Trowa: She's not gonna write a damn thing.

KC: I swear I'll try! Please pray I have a safe trip. Um, if I don't report back after June...we'll, then someone else'll have to take over the story.

Duo: Damn, you're morbid.

KC: I know, I know...I'll be back soon, I promise!

*

1. Medieval English Verse. Trans. by Brian Stone. Ed. by Betty Radice. Penguin: New York, 1981.


On To Chapter 23

Back to Heero + Duo
Back to Quatre + Trowa
Back to Wufei + Other
Back to Multiple Pairings

Back to Main Archive