Willing Slave Chapter 23
By: KC

Willing Slave

Warnings: shonen ai, yaoi, violence, tiny tiny implied yuri,

Setting: Alternative Universe, in a fantasy past

Disclaimers: Gundam Wing characters belong to Mixx Entertainment, Koichi Tokita, the SOTSU Agency, Sunrise, Kodansha and anyone I may have forgotten, not to me. I make no money off of this.

KC: I'm back!

Heero: Damn.

KC: Oh hush. Anyway, I'm back, I survived, and I'm working on the next chapters.

Duo: Oh goody...more sex scenes?

KC: *sweatdrop* Um...I dunno. I hadn't thought about that just yet. I'm trying to work more on the plot. Plus, you can only write tab A being inserted into slot A or B just so many times.

Trowa: So you didn't get much writing done, hmm?

KC: *hangs head and bows in shame* No, I'm very sorry. I just couldn't make myself write when I was in the car, and we never got to a hotel early enough, and I had to actually act sociable in front of the relatives...I hate relatives I hardly know.

Quatre: Tell me about it.

Wufei: But I want another snuggling scene with Treize! You take him away from me too much.

All: O.O

Treize: Aw, that's so sweet!

KC: Okay, I'll work on it, but we've got a masquerade and assassins to deal with.

Duo: Do I get to beat them up?

Heero: Let me!

KC: Nope, you already got a violent scene. It's Duo's turn, but I don't think he'll like it all that much. He'll probably be shaking and crying when--eep!

Trowa: Gave away another secret?

Treize: You have to ask?

KC: Okay, on to the show as we begin with a flashback!

*

Wufei woke to the sounds of wooden wheels rolling on dirt and hooves plodding outside...outside? He opened his eyes and found himself staring up at a cream-colored tarp stretched overhead, the gleam in the cloth showing just how much sunlight it was blocking. He shut his eyes with a groan, wincing as the wagon dipped and tilted with every curve along the route.

"Nataku?" he whispered. His ragged voice barely carried a few inches, but it was enough. A little bundle nudged his hand and crept along his arm until he could hear her quiet chirp. "Oh...there you are. Wh-where ar' we?"

Considerate of his injuries, she eased off of his body, her claws audibly scraping the floorboards. He heard her jump and then he suddenly saw the surrounding landscape through her eyes. He turned on his side, curling slightly until the vertigo and the slight wave of nausea dissipated.

She gave him a sweeping glance from the back of what he could now see was a military caravan, letting him adjust to the view before moving again. Another wagon pulled by mules followed several yards behind, and to the sides were dozens of Lagrange soldiers on horseback. One of them noticed the little dragon and pointed her out to his comrades. Fascinated, they stared and whispered, amazed by her sleepy yawns and the way she adjusted from one leg to another, until a dark horse and rider came into view.

Wufei inwardly cringed when he saw his "master" come up alongside the back, but he gave no outward sign of it. The captain hitched his mount to the rear and climbed in, and to Wufei's astonishment, stroked Nataku's head without being snapped at. She even chirped pleasantly and tilted her head so he could rub her other side.

"Your friend seems to like me," Treize murmured.

His sight turned dark as Nataku let him see out of his own eyes again, but he kept them closed even when he felt Treize's presence beside him.

"You're...the first person..." Wufei whispered between breaths, "...she's let touch her...besides me."

Treize lay his hand on the sorcerer's forehead, pushing his hair from his face. "She really cares for you. I'd never have found you otherwise." He frowned and moved his fingers to just under Wufei's cheek. "Your fever's still pretty high."

"How long've I...been asleep?"

"Almost two days. For awhile I thought I pulled you out too late. You were practically burning up." He gently took Wufei's arm and held it up. "I need to check on your wrists, all right?"

Wufei opened his eyes and stared at him, confused. "What?"

Treize motioned at the linen bandages around Wufei's wrist. "Where the iron touched your skin. The burns run deep, and I need to change the bandages after awhile."

Wufei watched as Treize unwound the white strips until the last few inches came back stained reddish brown. The soldier frowned in dismay. "Well, at least it's not bleeding anymore, but...I could've just taken those chains off for how fresh those burns look."

The sorcerer sighed. "They probably won't heal for a long time."

"How long?" Treize trimmed the bloody ends off and wrapped the wound over again. "Weeks? Months?"

"Years."

Treize nearly dropped his hand. "Years?"

"Iron is poison. I'm lucky I didn't die."

"You had two attentive nurses when I wasn't by your side," Treize nodded. He finished the tucking the bandage in tight and moved to do the same to the other hand. "Will you ever get well again?"

From her perch at the rear, Nataku chirped out an answer and went back to preening, entertaining the soldiers to no end.

"She says a few months or so," Wufei mumbled.

"Looks like I'll be taking care of you then," Treize replied with a smile. "Is there anything you can take to heal faster? Traveling in a caravan is usually easier when you're healthy."

Wufei shrugged, as if what he would say was useless. "Silver. In small quantities, like a ring or stone."

"What does a large amount do to you?"

Wufei tried to hide his blush, but a faint tinge of pink darkened his face. "More of...what you saw."

"With my dagger?" Vaguely amused, Treize drew his fingers across the blush. "Did you enjoy that, or did you simply have no choice?"

Wufei flinched at his touch and shied away as far as his sore muscles would allow.

"Wufei?"

He didn't answer. He tried to flex his hands, to lift them up and push Treize's offending fingers away. Instead he found that he couldn't even feel his hands anymore.

Treize nevertheless understood his slave's look and politely withdrew his hand. "I understand. My apologies. I won't force you into anything. King J will want your services, though. Magickal services," he clarified.

The Chinese boy let out a little sigh. "That...I can do." He glanced back up at him. "Is Quatre all right?"

"Yes, he's Trowa's concubine now." He gave Wufei a stern look. "I'm only telling you because he's your friend. The official story is that he's been dead for years now. You must not tell anyone."

"Thank you. I won't."

Treize gazed back out where Nataku stood, watching her chirp and extend her wings just to hear his troops coo and pay attention. "Was Quatre...a close friend? He was almost in tears when he couldn't say goodbye to you."

"My only friend."

"Were you and he...?"

Confused, Wufei narrowed his eyes. "Were he and I what?"

"Lovers?"

The light pink color flushed bright and Wufei gasped. "N-no! Nothing like that!" He coughed as the loud volume aggravated his already sore throat. "I've never...with anyone..."

"My apologies. I didn't mean to fluster you." Treize leaned back against the side of the wagon and took a deep breath. "Too curious, I suppose."

"Have you...?"

He nodded once. "Yes, with my second. He has the most beautiful gold hair and blue eyes...but he left me. For a woman." He gave a bitter laugh. "I still feel a bit jilted." He fell silent for a moment, about to touch Wufei again, then thought better of it and got back up. I don't want to spook him. There'll be time for that later. "I'll return in a few minutes. I need to get some silver out of the spoils wagon."

Now Wufei stared in open confusion. "You...what...?" For me?

Treize blinked. "Silver," he repeated. "There should be some in the treasure we're bringing. Just sleep now." He put his hand over Wufei's eyes, shutting them, and the sorcerer's exhaustion immediately overpowered him. Once he was sure his slave was in no severe pain, Treize climbed out and slid onto his horse.

"All right," he told his soldiers, "that's enough dragon watching for today." While his troops groaned in disappointment, Treize looked back at the dragon. "Watch over him."

Insulted by the insinuation that she wouldn't, Nataku squawked indignantly and took her place at Wufei's side, laying her head on his arm while stretching one wing protectively over his chest. Her tail flicked comfortingly on his hand while she kept her eyes on the open back of the wagon.

*

Duo groaned and shifted to his other side, laying his head back on his newly fluffed pillow. "When are they gonna come back for us?"

Wufei, roused from his memories, didn't bother to look up from his side of the bed. "When they're finished with their meeting with Relena, hopefully."

"Hopefully?"

Wufei shrugged. "They might find it safer to leave us here during the masquerade, so that we're not in harm's way. So it could be several hours before they release us, maybe even tomorrow morning." He closed his eyes and settled down. "Try to get some sleep."

"Sheesh," Duo grumbled, closing his eyes. The veil fluttered around his face, and he lifted it slightly so it wouldn't bother him. "They can't be all that busy..."

*

Treize dashed out of the banquet hall in a sprint, hardly aware of the doors slamming shut behind him. At the ready were a handful of Arabian horses, saddled and bridled at all times for the captain.

A trail of gold flashed to his right, and then Zechs appeared beside him. "Did you see which way they ran?"

"They went for the market," Treize said, jumping on his horse. "We can beat them there if we move fast enough."

Zechs climbed up on his own mount, readjusting his mask. "I'm glad I wasn't in the banquet, or else I wouldn't have my sword with me."

"I wish I'd had your foresight," a new voice chimed in.

They looked up in time to see Dorothy vault up onto the last horse, nimble despite the deceptively long dress. She flipped her hair out of her face. "I only have a ceremonial sword." She smiled darkly. "Shall we go?"

"After you, cousin," Treize answered.

Without another word their horses bolted out of the palace courtyard and into the dark empty streets. Dorothy and Treize took point while Zechs fell into pace behind them. The two men alternated glancing at her and the assassins running over the rooftops, and she noticed their looks.

"Still don't trust me, cousin?" she laughed.

"I do," Treize replied. "I trust you to put a knife in whomever you don't like."

"Oh, I'm over that," she said with a mocking smile. "Just a childish phase I went through."

"Now it's people you like?"

She tossed her head again. "Of course not. Only people who try to hurt Miss Relena."

He glared at her. "I need them alive."

"Both?"

"Yes."

"In one piece?"

"Yes."

"You're no fun." She sniffed and spurred her horse on. "But I still get to play with one."

Treize looked back up and saw that the pair had separated and were now going in opposite directions. A split decision was required. "Damn! Dorothy," he called over the rising volume of the pounding hooves, "you can have the one on the left. Zechs, follow me!"

As the two horses veered right, Dorothy grumbled to herself. "Oh sure, take the fat one and make me run harder." Despite her complaints, her eyes darkened gleefully, anticipating the capture of her prey.

Back on the other street, the two soldiers cornered around a house, fast approaching the slower moving target. Zechs spared a moment to look at Treize.

"Do you think she'll tell Relena anything?"

"You don't think the mask keeps you safe? You left her kingdom years ago."

"Dorothy was never a fool."

Treize shook his head. "No, she never was. I don't think she will. She wouldn't tell Relena anything that'd hurt her, not if it wasn't necessary."

Zechs' look turned grim. "Hopefully Milliardo is still unnecessary."

Treize did not know how to respond to that. Fortunately an agonized scream from above saved him from a reply and brought his attention back to their task. "I'll go up first. Come around from the other side."

Zechs nodded his understanding and dismounted, running into the darkness. Treize slid off his horse and started up the side of the house, using the garbage pile as a boost to the windowsill, where he could grab the edge of the roof and pull himself up. He hauled his body halfway over the ledge and was about to throw one arm out for support when he saw a thousand sparkles of moonlight glimmer on the surface. Not five feet away lay the would-be assassin, moaning in pain on his side, with the little sparkles all over his skin.

"Be careful, Zechs," Treize warned. "The top is covered in broken glass!"

The silvery mask and blonde hair poked up from he other side. "I see it. Looks like he picked the wrong house to run on."

They both clambered up and carefully picked their way around the shards and slivers. Treize knelt by his target, avoiding the smears of blood all over the surface.

"Damn."

"Treize?"

The captain looked up and shook his head. "He's going to be hell to carry back to the palace, and he'll probably be dead in a few hours anyway."

Zechs gazed over the assassin. "You're right. Can your little sorcerer do anything?"

"Yes, but he won't like it. He hates calling souls up from the grave."

Zechs knelt by the body and searched around, staining his gloves red, but he found nothing of any use. "I'll have a few men round the body up once we return. I don't suppose Catalonia will leave her man alive?"

"Of course I will, Mr. Milliardo."

A peculiar crunching noise followed Dorothy's voice as she walked up behind them. When they looked over, they saw her stepping firmly on the glass, wiping blood from her hands and face. The crimson splatters on her clothes and hair would have to wait until later.

"Oh dear...if I'd known you'd have such a hard time, I wouldn't have been so rough on my catch." She smiled coldly. "You weren't always so sloppy, Mr. Milliardo."

"Dorothy..." he grumbled.

"Don't worry, sir. I would never let Miss Relena know where her errant brother's run off to." Her smile broadened. "Shouldn't we be heading back now? Miss Relena needs my protection."

Treize bristled at the off-hand remark. In all too polite tones he responded, "Your 'Miss Relena' is probably safer in Lagrange than she is in Sank."

Dorothy's manners went from arrogant to icy. "With arrows flying in the palace windows?"

Zechs nodded. "With an army. And a standing guard. And a sorcerer."

"Sank has a sorcerer for its defenses as well, and he doesn't faint after every incantation!"

Treize smirked despite the slight to Wufei. I'll have to find out how she found out about his fainting spells. "Yes, but ours isn't about to keel over and die from old age."

"Pargan isn't that old!"

"Please, dear, he's practically falling apart."

*chirp*

They all glanced down and spotted Nataku sitting on top of the assassin, readjusting her position each time the wounded man tried to shift away from her talons. Treize extended his arm, and she gracefully leaped up and glided over to land near his shoulder.

"Sent you to check up on me, did he?" He stroked one wing and stared deep into her eyes. "The assassins have been caught, but they're not going to live for very long. We'll likely need you to conjure up their souls later, so get some rest now." He lowered his voice to a tiny whisper. "I'll be back soon, I promise, and you'll have my every attention."

Back in the tiny room, Wufei heard every word and smirked, happy his love was alive. He drowsed, hovering between sleep and waking until Nataku severed the contact.

Treize turned to his second, intentionally ignoring Dorothy. "Stay here. I'll send Noin with enough soldiers to move the prisoners. See if you can keep them alive long enough." He gave Nataku a little nudge and sent her to Zechs' arm. Instead she decided to perch on the top of his mask.

"Where's the other one?" Zechs asked Dorothy.

Sullen now, she shrugged to her right, motioning to the bloody mess she'd casually dropped on a nearby roof. Grimacing in distaste, Treize exchanged a brief look with Zechs. The captain and Dorothy headed off the roof while Zechs walked over to the other assassin and started to rifle through his clothes.

*

Heero stepped inside the library and found Relena already seated, perusing an open book in her lap. She looked and smiled politely, without any hint of any emotion, and closed the book. His eyes flickered to the cover briefly and read the title. The Art of War.

"Queen Relena," he greeted her with a slight bow, and Trowa mimicked his motions.

She lay the book beside her on a small table and rose, returning his bow with a curtsy that did not force her to take her eyes off of them. "Prince Heero. King Trowa." If the assassination attempt had rattled her, she did not show it.

Heero nodded at the book. "Strange reading for a pacifist."

"I'm a pacifist, but not unlearned," she answered. "Its theories seem applicable to diplomacy as well. I'm surprised you have a copy here. It took years for ours to come from China and be translated."

"Not so hard for us," Heero said, moving to the desk. "It was a gift from my brother."

Trowa leaned against a bookshelf, crossing his arms. "I thought you could use it."

Heero let the veiled taunt slide and kept his focus on Relena. "Again, my apologies about tonight's disturbance. Our assassins are normally not so bold."

Relena waved his apology away. "Not to worry. It's not the first time I've been targeted. Actually, I wished to speak with you about that. Have you given any thought to my proposal?"

Heero nodded. "I have. The answer is still no."

She gave a sharp sigh of irritation. "The alliance of marriage would benefit both of our countries. Why would you refuse?"

Trowa chose that moment to join in. "Wouldn't a treaty suffice?"

Relena folded her gloved arms. "I'm afraid not. I've had several treaties broken recently, and only my foster's influence has managed to keep Romefeller from openly attacking."

Heero and Trowa snapped to attention. "Romefeller?"

Surprised by their sudden stares, she stepped back nervously. "Yes...there've been two attempts on my life now. If anything, I should be the one apologizing to you. You were probably attacked simply because I was there as well."

Heero shook his head. "No, that was the second assassination attempt on my life as well. Trowa and I have reason to believe the Romefellers are in collusion with the Bartons."

"For what purpose?" she asked, sitting down again.

Heero took up his usual unprincely seat on top of the desk. "Probably to take our kingdoms for their own."

"In addition to Corazon?" she wondered. "But that's far too much land for any one monarch to rule, and they don't seem to favor republics very much."

"True enough," Heero nodded. "But I doubt they're concerned with that. We don't know if they only want power or if there's something else."

"They don't have Corazon," Trowa added. "I have it."

"But you're part of their family," she insisted.

Trowa shrugged. "No, I am the ruler and protector of thousands of people. I consider Heero and Shaay to be my only family." I still can't believe Quatre likes that name...

A touch of sincerity touched her smile. "Your slave must love you very much."

"With all his heart," Trowa answered. "And the Bartons do not have hearts."

"All the more reason to join forces," Relena insisted. "We would stand a better chance together than alone."

"I will not make our kingdoms so large that everyone wants to attack us," Heero said in a firm tone. "There is nothing a marriage would serve that an alliance would not. An alliance would be the best route."

She lowered her eyes. "But how do I know I can trust you?"

Heero and Trowa exchanged a glance. "We wondered the same about you," Heero said. "The first assassin told me that he'd been sent from the Sank kingdom by your foster."

She gasped and shook her head emphatically. "Impossible! Dorothy would never do anything like that."

"She's a known killer," Trowa said.

Relena gave a half nod. "Exactly. She would never hire anyone, she would do the job herself. And despite my little influence on her actions, she would not have attacked anyone I told her not to." She looked straight into Heero's eyes. "In fact, we had reason to suspect your kingdom in the first attempt on my life. The assassin said he'd been hired by the newest slave in the Lagrange palace."

"Duo?" Heero asked.

She nodded.

"Now that is impossible. He's only a thief. He's never had the kind of money to hire a professional assassin."

"No slave would," she agreed. "But whoever has hired these killers wants us not to trust each other."

"We'll find out tonight if it's the Romefellers," Heero said. "At the masquerade."

"Going to put your slave's skills to the limit?" Trowa asked.

"I've selected his costume so he can hide things inside. I'll simply dance him around the floor and let him take what he can."

"Do you mind if I allow Dorothy to do the same?" Relena asked softly.

"You have just as much at stake," Heero said. "Just keep her away from Duo, so they won't get in each other's way."

"We can pool the takings in here," Trowa offered. "I'll bring in a few Maganacs to guard the room until then."

"Perfect." Heero glanced up at Relena. "Shall we draw up an alliance then?"

"You will not consider marriage?"

"No."
"Then a treaty it must be."

*

Duo woke to the sound of someone knocking on the door, and he immediately jumped to unbolt the inner lock. He nearly broke his nose running into the door, however, and he bounced back onto the bed, rubbing the sore spot while Wufei sat up.

"Ran into the door?" he smirked.

"Ow," was the only reply.

The door opened and swung out, revealing both Heero and Treize. Wufei looked over his lover to make sure he was all right, but he frowned when he didn't see his dragon. "Where's Nataku?"

Treize extended his hand and helped Wufei out of the small room. "She's busy. Don't worry, she'll be back soon. You and I need to go to the dungeons now." He led him down the hall, leaving Heero and Duo to themselves.

"Did you get the assassins?" Duo asked, standing.

Heero nodded curtly. "Yes, but Treize and Wufei will deal with them. You must get ready for the ball."

"Huh?"

"The masquerade."

"Oh, that's right," Duo smiled. "Quatre said we'd get to watch."

Heero almost smiled. "No. You will dance with me."

Duo froze, and his hands started to shake in anticipation. "But...I can't dance! I mean, I've never done it before!"

"Don't worry, you'll be stealing while you're at it."

Thinking that part was too good to be true, Duo tilted his head. "Really?"

"As much as you can, without getting caught."

Duo couldn't help his cocky grin. "Just tell me what you want from who. Um..." his grin started to fade, "...if you help me dance..."

Heero grabbed Duo's braid, twisting the end of it around his hand, and took him out of the room. "It's not so difficult, you'll see. At least now I'll have a chance to watch you work."

Duo leaned against Heero's body, putting his own arms around the flat waist. "If I do a good job, then you won't see me work at all."

Heero abruptly stopped and looked around the hall, making sure they were alone. He then gently pushed his slave against the wall and held him in place with one hand on the slim chest. "Duo...you must be careful. Don't make eye contact with anyone, especially while we're dancing. Lately you've been allowed to relax around me and Trowa, but while we are in court you must be silent." He couldn't see Duo's facial expression, but the purple eyes fluttered and started to turn too bright.

"I...I didn't do anything wrong, did I?" he whispered. "I mean...I didn't look at anyone...I tried to be good..."

Heero frowned and put his fingers up to Duo's eyes, wiping the excess moisture away. Why is he getting so emotional over nothing? "No, you did fine. You...saved my life again." He pulled the veil aside, revealing Duo's entire face, and gave him what he hoped was a reassuring kiss. To his relief, Duo embraced him again and the quick tears dried away. "But Duo, the warning still stands. I don't have time to explain fully, but someone is trying to use you against me."

Duo's eyes opened wide and he shook his head in shock. "No, I would never...I couldn't..."

Heero leaned closer until their lips were only inches apart. "I know, and I trust you. I meant it when I said you are entirely trustworthy. But you must be careful."

Duo nodded and accepted another kiss before Heero replaced the veil. "I promise."

"Good." Heero lay his arm around Duo's shoulders and held him close as they walked back to their room. "We have to get dressed now, or else we might be late."

"How long will the party last?"

Heero heaved a sigh, betraying his real feelings for a moment. "Hopefully not long. Maybe we'll have another assassination attempt and it'll cut the dancing short."

Duo smothered his giggle and snuggled a little closer while they walked.

*

KC: Another chapter done!

Duo: And how many more to go?

KC: Not a clue!

Quatre: Shaay? Who's Shaay? Trowa, are you cheating on me?

Trowa: No, no, I swear.

Quatre: KC, you'd better not make him cheat on me!

Treize: What are you complaining about? You've had Wufei, haven't you?

Wufei & Quatre: ????!!!!

Wufei: He has not!

Quatre: I have never!

Treize: You certainly had the chance.

Wufei: You jealous little--

KC: Hush, all of you! Shaay is just Quatre's name at court.

Duo: But why Shaay?

KC: They don't know it's him, remember. And it's Arabic for tea.

All: -.-

KC: What, it's cute!

Quatre: I don't drink tea all the time! Just at breakfast and dinner!

Trowa: And lunch.

Duo: Brunch.

Wufei: Midnight snack.

Heero: And all day long.

Quatre: Erk...

Treize: But have Quatre and Wufei slept together?

KC: Will you get off of that?

Trowa: It's important to the plot, isn't it?

KC: Well...I can say this, no they haven't had sex.

Wufei: Then...there should be no problem...

Heero: She's wording it funny...

KC: All right, all right, it's important later on! Happy?

Quatre: Uh...no...

Wufei: *pales* Now what's she planning?

KC: Look, it's just in the long run for the sequel--

All: Sequel?!

KC: A shorter sequel! Like the movie! Please don't hit me!

Duo: You haven't even finished this and you're already planning a sequel?!

KC: That's it, this conversation is over! *runs away*

Heero: Omae o korosu!

Wufei: Don't you walk away before you've explained yourself!

KC: Eek!


On To Chapter 24

Back to Heero + Duo
Back to Quatre + Trowa
Back to Wufei + Other
Back to Multiple Pairings

Back to Main Archive