Willing Slave Chapter 17
By: KC

Willing Slave

Warnings: shonen ai, yaoi, violence, tiny tiny implied yuri,

Setting: Alternative Universe, in a fantasy past

Disclaimers: Gundam Wing characters belong to Mixx Entertainment, Koichi Tokita, the SOTSU Agency, Sunrise, Kodansha and anyone I may have forgotten, not to me. I make no money off of this.

Trowa walked through the palace, his boots tapping against the floor and echoing eerily. Despite his year away, he still knew exactly where everything was. And he knew Quatre enough to know exactly where he was, too. It was definitely too hot for a trip to the stables, and his little lover loved to lounge in shade...

He came out of one of the large doorways into the outside gardens. Nothing like the indoor orchards, this garden was much more conventional, covered mostly with flowers in organized patterns and rows along stone pathways. Mostly filled with common flowers, there were several patches of exotic blossoms that he didn't recognize, long petals drooping over thin stems with curly leaves.

"Hello, Trowa. It's been awhile."

Trowa turned and spotted Lady Une kneeling amongst the flowers, a watering can in her hands with a basket of seed beside her. "Hello, Une. It's good to see that some things don't change."

She smiled. "Just what I plant here. Thank you for remembering how much I love snapdragons. I hadn't been able to find merchants carrying seeds for such a long time."

"Quatre's the one who remembered," Trowa admitted. "I had to hold him back from bringing hundreds of gifts for everybody on this trip."

"He's such a treasure," Une pushed her hair back over her shoulder. "Speaking of which, I think I saw him and Duo around the fountains."

"I had a feeling," he said. Nodding his thanks as he turned, he started back down the stone path, careful not to tread any flowers underfoot. Heavy scents of perfume wafted with the breeze as it blew over the blossoms. He kept his eyes downward, trying to escape the sun's glare. I should have worn something thinner, he thought, fidgeting under his clothing. But I've become so used to Quatre's windy climate...I forgot how hot it is here...

A cool wind blew over him suddenly, chilling his skin, and making him shiver. He looked up and saw that he'd come around the corner to the back of the palace where the walls were the highest and curved around slightly, creating a small enclave. Little sunlight filtered through, but what did show reflected off the water flowing from the fountain in the center. Three tiered and constantly churning, water poured off the bottom level and flowed around the floor, which like the walls was covered in white tile painted with blue designs.

"How many more of these letter things are there?"

"Not too many. You're really picking this up fast."

Trowa glanced around and spotted the pair sitting on a bench against the wall. Their shoes lay beside them, safely raised out of the water as they splashed idly. Quatre turned slightly and traced his finger along the wall, leaving a trail in the condensation.

"See, this is how you spell your name," he said.

Duo stared at the three symbols on the wall for a moment, then copied them. "Like this?"

Quatre beamed at how similar the words were, save that Dou's lines were a little wobbly. "Uh huh...except..." He completed the curve over the last letter. "There."

Duo tilted his head inquisitively. "How do you spell your name?"

"Um, it's kind of long," Quatre said shyly.

"Lemme see, lemme see!" Duo begged, clasping his hands and giving Quatre a puppy dog look.

Quatre laughed, but he nodded agreeably, standing. Water splashed around his ankles. "Okay, let me start at that end of the wall."

Trowa ducked back behind the wall as his slave started to write, spying curiously, and he chuckled lightly at Duo's expression. The braided boy's jaw dropped as Quatre finished his second name and started on the third. Quatre had to stretch a little to reach over the bench, though, straining his muscles upwards. Trowa's stare wandered along Quatre's lithe little body, admiring the way the harem pants conformed around him.

"Quatre..." Duo started, leaning forward, "careful, you're awfully--Quatre!"

As he spoke, Quatre's feet suddenly slipped and he toppled to the side. Quatre yelped in astonishment, grasping at Duo, who had reached out to grab him. Instead, Quatre's light weight carried Duo off the bench, and they both landed unceremoniously in the shallow puddle around the fountain.

Trowa couldn't help himself. Laughter poured out of him, and he had to lean against the wall to keep from falling over. Duo and Quatre both stared wide-eyed at him, then decided at the same time to scramble to their feet. Unfortunately, they got in each other's way, and Quatre tripped over Duo's leg and tumbled onto him, jerking his braid in the process. It only made Trowa laugh harder as he walked over.

"It looks like you two need some help," he smirked, lowering his hands to lift them up. He looked over their soaked figures once they were standing and chuckled again. "Well, at least the water's clean."

"Oh, Heero's gonna be so upset if he sees me like this," Duo groaned.

"I doubt it," Trowa said, still snickering. His smile softened when he saw how bothered Duo was. "But if you're really worried about it, I'm sure the sun will dry you off soon."

Quatre, blushing furiously from embarrassment, splashed some water on his face to cool off. "I'm sorry, Duo, if I hadn't slipped...maybe we'd dry faster on the roof."

"It's a nice view of the city besides," Trowa added. "Come on, I'll make sure Heero doesn't see us while we walk."

Duo grinned. "Okay, lead on!"

Trowa waited for them to retrieve their shoes, then escorted them back through the garden. Quatre shook his head a little to get the excess water out of it, but Duo backed a few feet away before whipping his braid to the side and squeezing it out.

"How long is your braid?" Quatre asked as they went.

Duo shrugged. "I don't know. I've never measured it. Long enough to get me into trouble."

Quatre giggled, sliding his hand into Trowa's. "That's how Heero caught you, isn't it?"

Duo sighed and nodded. "I turned to run back out the window and felt my braid being yanked, and then I was on my back with him on me. I never thought he could move that fast."

"Heero's a strong fighter," Trowa told him. "He's probably the best soldier in the kingdom."

"Really?" Duo asked. "But there must be older, more experienced soldiers..."

Trowa shook his head. "Perhaps, but Heero is still the best. King J started his military education early, training him in strategy and every form of martial arts he could find a tutor for. Everything Heero does is completely thought out." He glanced sideways at Duo. "You're lucky he didn't kill you then and there. You must have interested him immediately."

Duo fell silent for several seconds, mulling this over. "That explains it."

"Explains what?" Quatre asked, wondering why he felt so much sadness radiating from him.

"Why he doesn't laugh or smile," Duo replied. "He's so serious it's scary sometimes."

"It's not that, he's just--" Quatre started, but he cut himself and stared down at the ground.

Trowa put his hand on Quatre's shoulder, making him look up into his eyes. "It's all right, you can say it. Heero's personal slave should know, and it's no secret to me."

Duo's eyes narrowed slightly. Little Quatre isn't as free as I thought. Trowa keeps a tight lid on what secrets Quatre gives away...which is wise, considering...I guess. "Know what?" he asked out loud.

Quatre smiled nervously. "He doesn't try to seem like that, it's just his habit. After all his training, and all the pressures of being a prince...and the fact that he can't leave the palace...he has to be serious all the time. One slip could cost him everything." He sighed. "He's actually very lonely."

They fell silent as several guards passed by them, and the two slaves cringed at the harsh glares openly thrown at them. Trowa frowned and grabbed the last guard's arm, forcing him to stop. The rest of the small troop halted, turning around.

"What's the problem?" Trowa demanded.

"My apologies," the guard stammered. "I meant no offense to you!"

"Why are you scaring a pair of helpless slaves?" Trowa asked, his grip tightening painfully.

The troop commander stepped forward. "A member of our troop has been unjustly thrown in the dungeon on the word of that slant-eyed brat of Treize's. We don't want any slaves getting the idea they can slander freeborn citizens."

"Just because they are slaves now, you think they weren't freeborn?" Trowa growled. "They are war slaves and property of either royalty or nobility...meaning they outrank you."

The commander visibly bristled at that remark. "Not by our laws."

"But in every way that counts," Trowa snapped. "They are afforded privileges above your wildest dreams."

"Why?" another soldier grumbled.

Trowa stood straight. "I've heard the rumors of how Heero was saved from an assassin recently...and you were not in them."

"But that one's not a war slave," the guard he'd grabbed asked. "He's just a little thief."

"A thief who got by your defenses," Quatre murmured, looking away.

"Insolent little..." the commander stammered. "You see, they've forgotten their place! They're as bold as that Chinese whelp..."

"And which 'Chinese whelp' would that be?"

Everyone (except Trowa) jumped at the new voice, and they whirled to see Treize standing directly behind the troop. He smiled coldly at his soldiers.

"Wufei did not accuse your former comrade of anything. I did. Your friend attacked my slave, then nearly had him imprisoned. I saw it all. Now if you have any other complaints...?" He waited, daring them to say something else. When no one said anything, he continued. "Then get back to your duties. And stop trying to intimidate the slaves, especially when a prince is before you."

Gasping in fright, the troop paled and offered a few token apologies before retreating down the hall. Treize shook his head. "I'm sorry about that. They're new recruits."

Trowa shrugged. "Not a problem."

Quatre took a step forward, a worried look on his face. "Is Wufei okay? He isn't hurt, is he?"

Treize's smile warmed up. "No, he's just exhausted. He'll be all right again soon." He looked over the blonde and spotted Duo behind him. "I'm glad I found you , Duo, I have something I'd like to ask you."

Duo shrugged one shoulder and smiled. "Sure, go ahead."

"How did you break into the castle?" Treize asked. "I had every entrance sealed and guards at every post, more than enough to stop most."

"I could get in," Trowa deadpanned.

Treize gave him an irritated glance. "Not everyone has your kind of training. I don't have a city full of human jumping spiders to worry about."

Quatre suppressed a laugh as Trowa smiled good naturedly.

"I could show you..." Duo said. "From the roof," he added when he saw their looks darken. He brought his hands up near his throat, as if he was afraid they might try to hit him. "Geez, come on guys, if I'd wanted to leave, I'd have done it by now!"

Quatre put his hands to his mouth, shaking his head. "No, Duo, we...we're not allowed to say things like that..."

Duo frowned in confusion. "What?"

Trowa lay his hand on Duo's shoulder, holding him gently. "Since you don't know, it's all right this time, but from now on, don't ever mention anything about trying to escape unless someone asks you directly. Slaves are not permitted to speak about leaving their masters."

"You can even get in trouble for saying you would never try to flee," Treize added, "even if you mean it."

Quatre slowly lowered his hands and sidled up against Trowa. "It's okay to be open with us, we would never hurt you...but the court...we have to keep so quiet..."

"The court?" Duo asked. Reassured that they weren't angry at him, he nevertheless caught his braid up and fiddled with the end of it. "Like the one that sends thieves to hang?"

"No, the royal court," Treize said. "And Quatre is correct, you must learn to be absolutely silent there until you get your bearings."

Trowa sighed and folded his arms. "Heero needs to find you a tutor, and fast." He glanced at Treize. "How about Lady Une? She's kind enough."

Treize looked at him for a moment, then started to laugh. "No...no no no...even if there was the slightest possibility of her becoming Colonel Une while in front of him..."

Trowa laughed lowly to himself. "No, I suppose not. Zechs or Noin?"

Treize considered, then shook his head. "No, both of them are pretty busy with their duties. There must be someone..."

"Do you think Wufei could handle it?" Heero asked.

This time they all jumped as the prince walked up to them, his eyes lighting up for a brief second in amusement. "Seeing as how he'll be on light duties for awhile, I think your sorcerer would be the best teacher."

Treize visibly hesitated. "Not to contradict you, Heero, but Wufei is not known for his patience."

Heero shrugged. "They both know and trust each other. And he was a scholar once. Tell Wufei he can turn Duo into cat if he gets out of hand."

"Cat?!" Duo gasped.

Treize nodded with a smile. "Oh, he definitely won't mind with those terms. And it would be nice if he would transform someone else for a change."

"Then it's settled," Heero said. "I believe you were heading for the roof?"

Trowa nodded quietly, putting his hands around Quatre's shoulders as he pulled him forward. Treize followed behind them, while Heero looked over Duo for a moment.

"You're wet," he whispered.

Duo gave a little nod. "Quatre and I fell in the fountain."

Heero's lips quirked into a faint resemblance of a smile. "When you're done showing Treize everything up on the roof and they've left, we'll come back to our room. I've been thinking about you all day."

Duo blushed with the praise and ducked his head. "I love you, Heero."

Heero put his fingers under Duo's chin, bringing his face up for a gentle kiss. "I know."

*

Heero and Duo caught up to the others just as they reached the stairs. Trowa led their way up, and he stared in mild surprise at the charred edges of the doorway around the brand new door.

"Wufei didn't wait to unlock the door," Quatre noted.

"He can be very impetuous at times," Treize agreed as they went through.

Despite the direct sunlight, the white tiles deflected most of the heat, so the air wasn't so stifling as they thought it would be. Still, Duo loosened his shirt and wished he was wearing a lighter shade other than black.

"Wow, what a view," he whispered, staring over the city. He could easily see for miles, spotting the huge market district, the decrepit slums, a few churches... "Hey, Maxwell Orphanage! I can see it!"

Treize looked out over the broad expanse and nodded. "You lived there?"

Duo nodded. "Uh-huh. For about seven years." He scratched absent-mindedly at his bangs. "So...how do I tell you the way?"

Before Treize could reply, Heero took Duo's hand and tugged him to the roof's edge. "Don't tell me. Show me."

Duo blinked, and then a broad grin spread over his features. "Follow me?"

"Of course."

Duo sat at the edge and flipped onto his stomach, letting himself down the side slowly. He then shimmied to the nearest wall on the right and dropped down onto the narrow surface. Once Heero had joined him there, he carefully navigated his way down the length of the wall, turning when he came to the hard right. Up on the roof, Trowa, Quatre and Treize all watched, fixated on the two figures now running along the wall.

"Can you keep up?" Duo laughed, enjoying the way the wind made his braid flow behind him.

"I'm right behind you," Heero replied. He smiled without thinking about it, keeping an eye on the boy ahead of him. In the sunlight, the braid seemed like pure gold. Racing along the high ledge, the hot breeze against his face...he glanced down and spotted a few people watching from below. I'm outside the palace, he sighed in relief. Out of those damn halls and robes...outside...Duo, I could love you just for this.

"We've gotta go down now," Duo called over his shoulder. "There's a gate up ahead, and we don't wanna get caught."

"Right," Heero nodded. "Lead the way."

Duo stopped abruptly and started climbing down the wall, using the thick crevices between a few tiles to keep from falling. Heero, impatient with that route, simply jumped down and landed on all fours, spreading the shock of the impact around. Duo landed a second later, startled when he saw Heero.

"Wow...you'd make a good thief," he said automatically. "Now remember, I'd be doing this late at night with the dark helping me, so this is like working with a handicap..." He led Heero behind the rose bushes that lined the wall, easing past the thorns and briars. "Now we have to make a run for that wall," he whispered. "And we have to be quick, or else they--" and here he gestured at the two soldiers standing at the gate, "--will see us."

Heero prepared to dash off, but Duo lay his arm on Heero's. "Hold on, just a few minutes...if this shift is anything like the nighttime guard, we need to wait a few minutes."

"Treize has told me the patrols are similar," Heero said.

Duo nodded, his bright eyes watching the action in front of him. After half a minute, two more guards roamed into view, chatting to each other, and they stopped by the gate for awhile before heading back. Heero tensed up again, and Duo held him again. "Not yet...wait for it..." The guards disappeared, and he stared at the ones at the gate. The armed men looked outside, then back in. A minute later they looked out and back in again, then leaned against the wall and struck up a conversion.

"Now!" Duo whispered fiercely, and they both darted across the grounds, vaulting bushes along the main path and ducking behind the roses on the opposite side of the gate. Breathing hard, Duo grinned at Heero, who panted merely for the thrill of being outside. "You're good at this. I wish I'd had a partner like you outside."

Heero leaned over and kissed him for the comment. "Now where?"

"This is where it gets tricky," Duo warned him. "See, the reason I came in your room that night was because I saw your candle in the window. I'd thought you'd left and that the room would be empty. An easy mark, you know?"

Heero nodded once.

"But to get there...well, you have to climb up that tree, and be careful because it's really young, then climb up the wall to the lower balcony. Then you have to jump up to the top balcony and haul yourself up. There isn't much room to balance on the railing, though, so you'll probably fall in the first time."

"Like you did?" Heero smirked.

Duo smiled and nuzzled his throat. "Exactly. Ready?"

"After you."

After a quick look around, Duo ran towards the tree and started climbing. The tree swayed awkwardly as he pulled himself up. Halfway through the weak branches, though, another patrol came by beneath him, and he had to struggle to hold perfectly still until they passed by. Once they had disappeared, Duo reappeared coming up along the tiles, sliding over to the first balcony. As soon as he was on it, he scrambled onto the railing and jumped up as high as he could go. His fingertips curled around the edge of the top balcony, and he dangled ridiculously for several seconds. Finally he managed to pull himself onto the railing, but even with his prior experience, he still stumbled inside.

Catching his breath after all his effort, he was pitched forward onto the floor as someone else landed on top of him. He turned on his side and smiled at Heero. "Told you."

Heero shook his head defiantly. "I didn't fall accidentally." He pushed Duo flat on his back and held him down on the carpet, pinning his hands as if it was the night he'd caught Duo. "I like having you this way."

Duo grinned, suffering none of the fear he'd felt that first night. "What about the others? They were watching us--"

Heero hushed him with a quick kiss. "No, I'm sure they'll know what we're doing here. They saw us come in and won't worry. Now...I've shown you what I expect, haven't I?"

Duo's eyes flashed eagerly. "You want me to...?"

Heero nodded once.

"Right here on the floor?"

"Why not?"

"All right, but don't be upset if we both get rug burn..."

*

Treize grumbled as he watched the prince and slave dart across the palace grounds, easily running circles around his guards and generally having a fun time.

"I don't believe this," he sighed.

"If it's any consolation," Trowa started, "Duo got through because he's extremely daring. If anyone tried to sneak in, your men would catch them."

"I know," Treize said," but to see them get through so effortlessly...I have to make a few changes in the shifts...more training...Zechs and Noin won't like the extra time they'll have to put in."

Quatre shook his head. "Don't wear yourself out...no security is ever perfect."

Treize smiled at the blonde." True, but--" he was interrupted as a little green spot streaked through the air, flying between them and losing speed until the little dragon halted in midair and settled on Treize's shoulder. "Nataku?"

"I thought Wufei was sleeping," Quatre said, puzzled.

Treize chuckled as he gently scratched the dragon's head. "If Nataku is awake, Wufei must have woken up. If you two will excuse me...?" He bowed slightly and disappeared back downstairs.

Quatre watched him go, then stared back out over the city. "It looks like Corazon, almost...the way I saw it from my tower." He hugged his arms around himself, feeling a cold wind despite the heat.

Trowa stepped behind him and draped his arms over Quatre, holding him close. "You're not a prince anymore. You're a slave. No more towers. I will never lock you away." He gently turned Quatre around and embraced him. "I love you."

Quatre sighed sadly and lay his head on Trowa's chest. "I love you." He closed his eyes, cuddling the cloth of his shirt.

Trowa placed a soft kiss on Quatre's head. "You're still wet. I think you should change your clothing and get to bed before you catch a cold."

Quatre gave him a broad smile, his mood instantly changing. "But just sitting in bed is so boring!" he pretended to protest.

Trowa kept one hand around Quatre's waist as they walked off the roof and down the stairs. "Then I suppose I'll have to keep you entertained," he whispered. He smirked as Quatre's face turned light pink. "You blush so easily, little one."

The comment only made Quatre blush further.

------------------------------------------------------

KC: ;) Do I have to tell you what's ahead?

Duo: Ahoy, Heero, there be lemons ahead!

Heero: How many?

Quatre: Looks like three of 'em!

Duo: Big 'n juicy ones, too!

Treize: Certainly something to sink one's teeth into.

KC: Hey, guys, cut it out. I haven't even written 'em yet.

Wufei: Then hurry up, onna! And get me out of that chain while you're at it!

Treize: Must you?

KC: Well, I know I want to write some bondage into this...

Duo, Quatre, Wufei: 0.0 Eeek!

Heero, Trowa, Treize: :P Yummy...


On To Chapter 18

Back to Heero + Duo
Back to Quatre + Trowa
Back to Wufei + Other
Back to Multiple Pairings

Back to Main Archive