Willing Slave Chapter 16
By: KC

Willing Slave

Warnings: shonen ai, yaoi, violence, tiny tiny implied yuri,

Setting: Alternative Universe, in a fantasy past

Disclaimers: Gundam Wing characters belong to Mixx Entertainment, Koichi Tokita, the SOTSU Agency, Sunrise, Kodansha and anyone I may have forgotten, not to me. I make no money off of this.

KC: Um, hi guys...now, while you read this, some of it might not seem to make sense...

Duo: Some of it?

Heero: This whole story is nonsense.

KC: You're so mean! Anyway, I make up a word in this, and refer to a few social rules that exist in Lagrange.

Quatre: Has she stopped taking her pills?

Trowa: No, but she lives in Texas, and it's starting to get hot there again.

KC: That has nothing to do with it!

Wufei: She's probably suffering from heat stroke.

KC: I said--

Duo: Or maybe she's just batty.

KC: I'm not crazy! (slaps Duo and his braid turns pink)

Duo: Aagh! Heero, look what she did to me!

Heero: @.@ Kawaii...

Trowa: Can you do up Quatre's hair like that?

Quatre: Trowa!

Treize: Could you make Wufei's clothing a little tighter?

Heero/Quatre/Trowa/Duo: O.O Yikes!

Duo: What's he doing here? I thought he was dead!

Wufei: Well...his suit did explode...but...

Treize: It's a farfetched story, involving dragons and ancestors. (shameless fic plug)

KC: I like happy endings, so?

Wufei: Happy endings?

Heero: So this story is going to have a "happily ever after" ending?

KC: >.< Don't give it away! Damn it, look what you did! Stop it or I'll really make you suffer!

Duo: You mean worse than being in this story in the first place?

KC: That's it, no more, let's get to the story!

Trowa: About time...

-------------------------------------------------------

Heero and Trowa walked into the garden, neither of them speaking, merely scanning the area for their two lovers. They first paused at the pond, but even though they could see several words written in the dirt, some elegant and some scribbled, Duo and Quatre were not there. They both looked around again, but all they could see were a few servants working to pluck baskets of fruit from the trees.

Heero crossed his arms and frowned. "It's my own fault. I told Duo they could roam the palace."

Trowa shook his head with a smile. "No, I'm sure this was Quatre's idea. I told you he's rather slippery."

"And it has been a few hours since we last saw them," Heero admitted. "They probably got bored and headed to the stables."

"Can Duo ride?" Trowa asked.

"I don't know," Heero answered. "I doubt it."

While they conversed, Treize appeared in the entrance and walked quickly down the ruby path, not noticing the pair standing near the pond. They watched as he disappeared into the grove and reappeared a few moments later, carrying a rumpled uniform and a plate of fruit. Exchanging a curious look, Trowa and Heero moved to intercept the captain.

"Khushrenada," Heero started.

Startled, Treize whirled around, half expecting a fight, but his shoulders relaxed when he saw who it was.

"You're jumpy today," Trowa commented.

"My apologies," Treize said, half-bowing. "The last thirty minutes have been rather...trying."

"Anything bad?" Heero asked.

Treize sighed and shook his head. "No, I've merely been forced to arrest another guard..."

"Another one?" Heero frowned. "What happened this time? More bribery?"

"No, the bastard tried to r--" Treize cut his angry mutter off, and his voice assumed its normal, dignified tone. "He tried to hurt Wufei."

"Is he all right?" Trowa asked, more concerned for Quatre's sensibilities than anything else. He'd hate to see anything bad happen to his friend.

"He's fine," Treize nodded. "Fortunately I saw it all, so it wouldn't be a slave's testimony against a guard..."

Heero's lips quirked. If Treize had been there, then the guard must not have recognized him. "What did he change you into this time?"

Treize sighed and he gazed in exasperation at the ceiling. "A duck. A big black and blue duck. I ate his damn cursed fruit and half a minute later I was covered in feathers." He readjusted the plate around his uniform and turned back towards the door.

"One moment," Heero said, halting him. "I need to speak to you privately. When are you off duty?"

"I will free for another hour or so," Treize answered. "And then again at sunset."

"If you don't mind, brother," Trowa interrupted, "but I'm going to go find Quatre. When I find them, would you like me to send Duo back to your room?"

Heero nodded succinctly. "I'd appreciate that. I'll see you at dinner, then." He watched at Trowa left, giving him a few minutes with the captain. "Treize, I need you to tell me something you've never told anyone before."

Treize frowned in confusion. "What's that?"

"How did you defeat Wufei during the Corazon invasions?"

Treize blinked, surprised, then looked around to make sure no one could hear them. "Do you mind if we discuss this elsewhere? This place is too open for this kind of talk."

"The armory is near here," Heero said, walking to the door. "Let's go."

Filled with weaponry and armaments of every kind, the shelves and chests of swords and other items made it impossible to find a hiding space, making it the perfect room for private conversations. Treize locked the door behind himself and set his things down, staring straight at Heero.

"Will you promise never to let Quatre hear about this?" he asked.

Heero tilted his head. "Yes, but why?"

Treize sighed and leaned against a large chest, avoiding the sword ends that stuck out haphazardly from beneath the lid. "He'd be extremely upset if he knew what happened to Wufei after the war. He still thinks I just seduced my dragon and carried him peacefully home."

"I remember when you brought Wufei back," Heero argued, shaking his head. "He was too weak to walk and his hands were useless."

Treize nodded. "Those were from the slave auction...no, let me start at the beginning. It was the last battle and Trowa's small army had just entered into Quatre's palace. The last queen was already dead, but her army was still fighting, and Trowa and I broke away from the rest of the fighting to find the prince we'd heard about. When we reached the upper towers, we spotted Wufei and Quatre just ahead of us, running up the staircase...

*

"I see them!" Treize said to Trowa, who followed his look. Sure enough, he could see two boys racing away, one of them carrying a staff and the other empty-handed. The dark-haired one turned for a split-second, and Treize gasped. Exotic and menacing, the black eyes flashed angrily, staring right at him. Then the far-eastern boy growled something at their pursuers while continuing to hurry the blonde up to safety.

"Treize, look out!" Trowa called in warning, leaning hard to the side as a fireball streaked out of the sorcerer's staff. He had to lean partially out the window, and he could hear a few stones chip off the sill and tumble to the ground hundreds of feet below. The fireball only barely passed by them, burning parts of their clothes. "That's Wufei, their Chinese sorcerer."

"But who is the blonde with him?" Treize wondered.

"That must be the prince," Trowa said. "Hurry up!"

With the seconds bought by the fireball, Wufei and Quatre had managed to get a few steps ahead of them, nearing the top. Treize and Trowa caught up just in time to see Wufei opening a heavy door that led to a tiny room.

"But what about you?" Quatre cried, trying to pull Wufei in with him. "I won't leave you behind!"

"I'll be fine, so don't argue and lock yourself in!" Wufei ordered him. He gave the prince a reassuring nod and closed the door, and a moment later came the sound of a bolt being thrown behind the door. Locked out, Wufei turned and faced the invaders. "I won't let you hurt him."

There was no way to get around the sorcerer in such a small space, so Trowa started backwards down the stairs. "Keep him busy, Treize."

Wufei moved to intercept him, but Treize stepped in front of him and swung with his sword. Biting off a curse, Wufei jumped back, knelt, and chanted a short spell. A blast of water appeared from above the door and shot out, soaking the captain and pushing him towards the staircase. Treize shoved his sword into a crack in the floor and hung on until the water ran out, running down the stairs like a miniature waterfall.

"You don't have to do this," Treize said softly. "Just surrender. I have no desire to hurt you." None at all he thought.

Wufei stared at him, about to fire off another spell, but he hesitated a moment. Treize noticed and stood again, holding his sword to the side. "You know I'm not lying," he said. "You can feel it, can't you? I would never hurt you."

Wufei blinked. He'd never expected this kind of reaction from his enemies. "You are invaders. Your armies have slaughtered countless civilians, without any regard for honor."

"You believe your country's propaganda?" Treize asked. "This war has been nothing if not honorable. Those 'countless civilians' were a handful of traitors from our side. We've heard what your advisors told you, they told us when we captured them. And you must admit, the bloodshed has been less than if those sisters were still fighting each other."

"What about Quatre?" Wufei growled. "You'll kill him, won't you?"

"Trowa might," Treize admitted. "He's the last of the royal family, and could pose a threat later on."

"Bastard!" Wufei yelled, and a burst of light brightened the room, blinding Treize.

He dodged to the left, shielding his eyes as he moved, and he felt something rush to his side. When he could see again, he turned and saw Wufei crouching several feet behind him, sword drawn. Treize glanced at his shirt and saw a small tear in it.

"Looks like you missed," Treize smiled. "And you seem to have dropped your staff."

Infuriated, Wufei stood and raised his hand, sending sparks of lightning through the room. Treize dove down, avoiding most, but the edges of his uniform were scorched. The thunder died away as the lightning did, and Wufei cursed again when he saw Treize still alive and unharmed.

"Care to try again?" Treize asked, holding his sword at the ready.

Wufei held his sword up, paused, then charged. Treize dodged the first slash, parried the second, and leaned to the side as he aimed a short cut at Wufei's top. The blue cloth tore across the side, revealing smooth muscles and a few scars.

Treize smiled at how clean the slash had been, drawing no blood since that hadn't been his intent, but he frowned when the sorcerer gasped and dropped to one knee. Wufei stood up, one hand against his side, and he brought his sword up again.

"Nataku!" he cried.

Treize froze, wondering what new spell the boy had thought up, when a dark green streak flew in through the window at the staircase and sped towards him, knocking the sword from his hands. He lunged for his sword, only to see a pair of claws wrap around the leather-covered hilt and snatch the heavy sword away. He finally got a good look at it, and gasped at the sight of a dragon making off with his sword.

But why? he wondered, looking back up at Wufei. He could make out a thin welt running along his side, fading off with angry red streaks. Iron, he realized. The iron of my sword hurt him, just being so close. But then, what is his sword made of...? He looked closely at the sorcerer's sword and saw that it was not iron, but some kind of smooth stone blade chiseled to a razor sharp edge.

"I had no idea you were so brave," Treize said admiringly as he stood back up. "To face an attacker holding pure poison...I'm impressed."

"I don't...care...what you think," Wufei snapped. Forced to lean against the wall for support, his breath came in short gasps.

"Now what?" Treize asked. "I have no sword, and you are in no condition to fight."

"I have no choice," Wufei said. "I have to protect Quatre."

Treize sighed. "By now, Trowa's probably already inside."

Wufei's face changed from fierce defiance to shock. "What?"

"The outside walls would be easy to climb," Treize explained. "He went through the window, so if there's one in that little room, he's likely inside by now."

"Quatre!" Wufei cried, turning towards the door. He raised his sword, about to cut through the door, when Treize pounced, pulling him backwards. The sword fell out of Wufei's hand, but he didn't give up. Even as Treize's arms circled him, he hissed out a fast spell and raised his hand again. Pieces of the walls broke off and shot at them, battering Treize so much that he retreated a few steps. Wufei collapsed to one knee, but he kept the spell up, flinging rocks at the captain.

Treize, desperate to avoid the flying brickwork, pulled a small dagger from his belt. Mainly for show, it was not iron but silver, the hilt wrapped in black silk. Still, it was better than nothing. He ducked a large stone and moved towards Wufei.

Mistaking the dagger for iron, the sorcerer panicked and shut his eyes tight. With a silent, strong prayer, the entire wall behind him shuddered, held still again, then violently tore from the rest of the tower and surged like a great wave at Treize.

Slipping on the slick steps, Treize dived back along the staircase, narrowly evading the mass of masonry. The stones slammed into the opposite wall, breaking some of it away while the rest of it crumbled harmlessly to the floor. Treize, breathing hard, came back up, knife clenched tight.

Wufei groaned and fell forward, exhausted. He glanced up and saw Treize coming, and with a desperate cry launched another bolt of lightning at him. It flickered weakly and went out, though.

Treize shook his head. "You've spent yourself, haven't you? You've been casting spells so long that now you're too tired for any more."

"No," Wufei argued stubbornly, trying to gather enough strength for one last strike. Treize didn't even move as the faint spark of light launched from Wufei's fingers. He didn't feel it crackle against his clothes and fade away.

"You can't fight anymore," Treize said softly. He knelt beside the sorcerer, putting his hands on his shoulders. "Surrender."

Instead of answering, Wufei shuddered and suddenly relaxed, his body stretching out along his side. His eyes half closed, and he sighed wearily. "Dishonorable...using that..."

Treize frowned in confusion. "Using what?" He looked around, but the only thing he was holding was his dagger. He blinked. It makes sense...he thought. If my iron hurts him...what would silver make him feel? "Why is this dishonorable?" he asked. "Answer me."

Coercion was not necessary, he found, as Wufei replied readily. "Silver...the antithesis to iron..."

"I thought that was lead to gold," Treize argued.

"Foolish alchemy..." Wufei laughed derisively. "Know nothing...the feeling of the metals..."

Like a kitten with catnip, Treize thought. Maybe it was dishonorable, but the boy had lost, and this seemed to make him feel better. He gently stroked the flat of the blade along the dark skin, teasing under his chin with the hilt. He easily pulled him into his arms, cradling him protectively. It felt wrong to so easily manipulate someone as powerful and proud as Wufei, but Treize couldn't deny how sweet it felt, either.

"Is he dead?"

The question caught Treize off guard, and he looked up as Trowa stepped out of the doorway. The tall boy seemed surprised by the lack of a wall on one side. Behind him came the blonde prince, his small wrists bound in front of him with silk, with a length of it trailing off into his captor's hands to form a leash. Despite his position, Quatre did not seem at all afraid. In fact, he seemed to be slightly smiling.

"No," Quatre answered Trowa's question before Treize could. "He's silver-tupped."

"Quatre?" Wufei mumbled, unable to speak any louder. "You're all right?"

Quatre nodded and his smile became more pronounced. "It's going to be all right, Wufei. I...things are going to work out. Thank you for everything you've done for me." He glanced at Treize. "You'll take care of him, won't you?"

Treize started. "Why would I--?" he began to protest, but Quatre abruptly grinned.

"It's obvious you like him," Quatre said.

"How...?" Treize wondered, stunned that the blonde could know.

"He can feel it," Trowa answered. "I'll explain later. Right now we have to end this battle. Quatre's going to willingly hand over his rights as monarch to me, and after that will come the formal ceremony. I'll need you immediately to keep any idiots from trying to 'rescue' him." He looked over Wufei, who, reassured by Quatre's words, had drunkenly returned to enjoying the silver caresses. He seemed incapable of much else with the metal on him. "What are you going to do with him?"

Treize stood, heaving Wufei up with him. "I'm going to keep him. He is a prisoner of war, after all."

Trowa nodded curtly. "Let's go, then."

*

"That's it, then?" Heero asked, as Treize finished the story. That doesn't explain the burns on his wrists, but...no, it doesn't matter. I have my answer. "Exhaustion and silver combined?"

Treize nodded, folding his arms. "You don't understand, though. Our attack on that palace lasted for three days, mainly because of Wufei's defenses. The amount of lightning and fire coming from the sky was...I almost thought we were fighting dragons. Even after most of their soldiers had been killed or captured, he continued to protect Quatre."

"In other words," Heero said. "It took an entire army to wear him down, and that was just to protect his friend?"

"His only friend," Treize clarified. "Heero, when his clan banished him...he lost everything. Quatre was the first person to accept him. Wufei is fiercely loyal."

Heero shook his head. "At least we won't have to worry about that, then. Unless the Bartons start anything less than a war, I don't have to consider losing his defensive shields."

Treize tilted his head. "The Bartons?"

"I forgot, you don't know yet," Heero realized. "Relax, this is going to take awhile..."

----------------------------------------------

1. Questions raised? Gimme time, I'll answer them. Especially how Wufei got scarred, and what Quatre and Trowa said in that tower.

2. Like most slave-owning societies, the law is that a slave's testimony carries less weight, if any, against someone. So here Treize was glad he was there as a witness, since his word will count.

3. "Silver-tupped": the 'tupped' part comes from Othello, and is a sexual reference. No, the dagger is not being used in a hentai fashion! (sick perverts...) Here's it's a term to describe the drunken feeling that comes with silver. (Explains why Wufei likes the silver chain, huh?)

4. Why all these notes? Well, I want you to know what's going on, but it's not easy getting in all the details of this society, and it would come off as really artificial if a character (who's lived in Lagrange all his/her life) would start explaining rules to another character (who's also lived there all his/her life).

5. I swear, I'll keep the political complexities to a bare minimum. I hate conspiracies on the X-Files, and they won't crop up here much.


On To Chapter 17

Back to Heero + Duo
Back to Quatre + Trowa
Back to Wufei + Other
Back to Multiple Pairings

Back to Main Archive