Willing Slave Chapter 26
By: KC

Willing Slave

Warnings: shonen ai, yaoi, violence, tiny tiny implied yuri,

Setting: Alternative Universe, in a fantasy past

Disclaimers: Gundam Wing characters belong to Mixx Entertainment, Koichi Tokita, the SOTSU Agency, Sunrise, Kodansha and anyone I may have forgotten, not to me. I make no money off of this.

KC: Yet another chapter!

Wufei: What did we ever do to you?

Trowa: What have we done wrong?

Quatre: Why do you insist on this punishment?

Heero: Why do we deserve such suffering?

Duo: Why do candy canes now come in weird colors, like green and blue?

KC: 'Cause it turns me on!

Duo: O.O

KC: Um, that came out wrong...I dunno about the candy canes...

Trowa: Well, she doesn't have a boyfriend, and she's got a sex drive the size of her home state.

Wufei: Put two and two together, and that equals severe frustration.

KC: Just rub it in, why don't you?

Quatre: Come on guys, quit picking on her.

KC: No, I'm serious. Could you just rub a bit--?

Duo: Eww, hentai! You little hentai!

Wufei: *nosebleed* Ack, I need tissues!

Treize: Silly thing, since when are you so prudish?

Wufei: Don't ask stupid questions, just give me tissues!

Quatre: I think we're all out.

Wufei: Injustice!

KC: Uh...let's start things off before poor Wufei passes out.

All: Again.

Wufei: This isn't fair!

*

At first Heero wasn't sure where to set his quietly sniffling slave, but he noticed Trowa easing Quatre onto a padded chair in the corner closest to the desk. He tugged his black cloak around the small shoulders, forming a make-shift blanket that threatened to swallow the blonde up. The prince walked to the chair besides Quatre and gently lowered Duo into the soft seat, stretching the chair's woven covering over him.

"Heero?" Duo asked, sitting up and putting one hand on his master's arm.

"It's all right," Heero reassured him. "I'm not leaving. Calm down."

Treize ignored the other chairs and carried Wufei to the table with all the stolen goods. "Has Dorothy been here?" he asked the guards.

"She has," came a cool voice from the window. Still dressed in her costume but without the mask, Dorothy climbed in over the sill and stood by table. "Everything's there." She laughed at Treize's confused face. "It's much cooler outside than inside, and there was more then enough room to sit."

"Let me down," Wufei whispered, but Treize only bent far enough so that Wufei could lay his hands on the various pouches and containers. Realizing he wouldn't be allowed to stand on his own, the sorcerer sighed in resignation and glanced over the pile. "Could you push those things to one side?"

Feeling cooperative, Dorothy swept everything to the end of the table and waited while everyone watched.

"That one," Wufei said, pointing at a green pouch. "Set it aside."

She pushed it to the empty space, and a moment later five other items joined it. Wufei stared at each one, ignoring the curious looks from everyone else, and dropped his singed hand on top of them. Three seconds later, he brought his hand up to Nataku, who slurped an invisible something down her throat.

"All done," Wufei told Treize.

"That's it?" he asked.

"See," Wufei smiled despite his headache. "I said it would be no problem."

"If you're finished," Heero started, "then one of you can tell us what happened in that dungeon."

Not even moving to lay Wufei down, Treize kept him in his arms as he started his report. He obviously glossed over the messy details, but the relief etched in their collective faces showed him the exclusion was appreciated. The memory of those undead things was bad enough.

"Hold on," Trowa said, holding one hand up. He found a sheet of scribe's paper in the desk, took out a quill and dipped it in a little bottle of ink. "Repeat that part."

"They said, 'false guards will strike as the meteor falls and return the unclean protection to the dying dragons'," Treize said so that Trowa could get it all down. "They said the purpose was to take 'this kingdom, and another, and another. And to take the Chinese sorcerer'." He unconsciously tightened his arms around Wufei, who couldn't help a tiny noise rising up from his throat. Treize gave him an apologetic look and loosened his hold.

"Did they say anything about this meteor?" Heero asked.

Treize shook his head. "Wufei asked, and they said very little. Only that it was a 'bloody hammer of light' dropped by a 'family of hearts'."

"Anything else?" Trowa looked up.

"Just that the master is 'the tiger' named 'O'."

"Is everything a damn riddle?" Dorothy griped, sitting on the edge of the table.

Wufei gave a humorless chuckle. "Not quite. I think I know who the tiger is. I met him briefly after I left my clan."

"Another sorcerer?" Heero asked.

Wufei nodded. "I hadn't thought he was a necromancer, though. Laoshi O has a tiger fetish, but he isn't very creative with his spells. At least he wasn't when I saw him."

Dorothy tilted her head. "Is that trick with 'magicking' blood pretty common?"

Wufei didn't bother to correct her words. "No...using death in so cavalier a manner...is dishonorable. And rare. Someone must have shown him how."

"This 'family of hearts'," Trowa said softly.

"Is there anything else?" Heero asked his sorcerer.

Wufei shook his head. "Just a fight and some sorcery. Nothing relevant."

Heero turned his attention to Treize. "That's all. I'll fill you in on what we find out later, and I'll send Sally to your room right now."

Treize, startled by Heero's consideration, smiled gratefully. "Thank you, Your Highness." With a small tilt of his head, he took his leave of the group and disappeared from the library. One of the Maganacs shut the door behind him.

Heero moved to his mirror. "Sally."

The reflection turned dark, followed by a surprised "mmph" and a thud. Candlelight sparked somewhere out of sight, giving him a dim view of Sally's face. "Yes, Heero?"

What the...? Heero shook the thought away. "Go down to Treize's room. Wufei could use your attention."

She gave him a look that clearly said what, now?, but she didn't argue. "Yes, sir."

Heero waved the mirror off, but just as his reflection began to return he heard an irritated curse in a voice that was definitely not Sally's. He blinked once, then realized what the earlier thud had been. Poor Une.

Back in his seat, Duo forced down a few breaths of air, choking on a handful of final sobs before wiping the back of his sleeve across his face to get rid of his tears. The steady voices and relative quiet gradually eased his emotions back to a reasonable level, and he yawned once, stretching his tired muscles. Hard to believe that stretching over Heero's lap for hours could be so tiring. Or that thirty seconds of blind terror could be exhausting.

"Well, shall we begin?" Dorothy asked. She pulled a chair the table and straddled it, leaning over the wooden back and opening a purse.

Trowa and Heero opted to remain standing and watched as she dumped a few golden coins onto the table.

"That's it?" she sighed. "Damn, this one was hard to get, too."

"The one's that were spelled would probably be the most valuable," Trowa noted. He picked up a green bag and popped open the top. A tiny slip of rolled paper spilled out, and Trowa scooped it up before Dorothy could. Ignoring her angry grunt, he opened it and then promptly gasped at the contents.

"What is it?" she asked, leaning closer.

Grimacing, he turned it towards her. Rendered in agonizing minutiae lay a sketch of Her Royal Majesty Queen Relena...sans clothing. Her hair was a bit too long and her eyes were off-center, but it was all unmistakably her.

"Duo!" Dorothy yelled, holding the distinctive bag up. "Who'd you get this off?"

At her voice, the thief cringed and yanked his blanket to his throat, using it as a shield between him and the assassin. "Uh...some guy in a chicken outfit!"

Silence. They all looked at each other to see if everyone else had heard the same thing. Even Quatre looked up in surprise.

"What?" Heero asked.

"He had big white feathers," Duo clarified. "An' red ones mixed in, and his mask looked like a chicken beak."

"I think he means a Sank bird of paradise," Quatre offered. "It would look like a chicken...on someone...um, too...big...for the costume."

"But Noventa was the only one wearing one!" Dorothy protested. Her eyes widened when she realized that could only mean one thing, and her voice dropped to a whisper. "Noventa? Oh my..."

"He's old enough to be her grandfather," Trowa winced, rather upset.

Even the guards looked sickened.

"I'll get rid of this," Dorothy grumbled, stuffing it somewhere in her clothing. "And pluck him, while I'm at it."

"Wow," Duo murmured. "I didn't think Trowa could ever look upset."

Quatre smiled broadly and gazed at his master. "I know...it's wonderful seeing him like this. He's usually so cold...especially after he wears that awful black mask."

Duo nodded, then froze. He sat straight up and stared at Trowa, eyeing his entire costume. He bit his lip. Maybe...but would he be allowed to say anything right now? To a king? But he had to find out, or else he'd be in big trouble...

"Duo, how'd you get all this without being seen?" Trowa suddenly asked.

Duo blinked and stared stupidly for a moment before he could think up a decent reply. But shouldn't he--oh, that's right. He's an assassin, not a thief... "Oh...a lifetime of practice. Besides, no one was watching me..." He closed his eyes. "Trowa?"

"Yes?"

"What kind of mask were you wearing at the dance?"

The young monarch gave him an odd look, but he pulled a scrap of black cloth from his pocket and held it up. "Just this." His eyes narrowed as Duo shrank back into the blanket. "Why?"

"Um...the black pouch..." Duo squeaked. "On the table."

Trowa looked down. "Which one? There are several--" He stopped as he noticed exactly which one in particular and quietly scooped it up, turning the bag over in his hand. He opened it, looked inside, and quietly drew the string shut again. Without another word, he put it back in his pocket.

Heero smirked as he walked over to the table. "Duo, you didn't...?"

"I didn't know it was you, honest!" Duo glanced over at Quatre, trying to gauge his reaction.

The blonde seemed stunned, with his blue eyes opened wider than usual. "He...picked your pocket?"

Trowa paused, then nodded once.

A snicker came from the corner, and they all noticed one of the Maganacs shaking with stifled laughter. The other could hide it better, but even his face turned a light shade of pink.

Trowa gave Duo a harsh look. "All right, you didn't know. Don't do it again."

Heero couldn't help his soft laughter as he leaned over the table and picked up a wooden bamboo case. "And what was in there, brother? A picture of your fantasy?"

Trowa gave a smile that did not reach his eyes, subtly reminding everyone in the room why it was best to stay on his good side. "No, just a list of monarchs I have yet to visit late at night."

Dorothy grabbed a bag and overturned it. Bright red rubies dropped out and spilled on the floor. "Silly me, I thought one prince would be enough for you." She took two of the larger stones and tossed them to Quatre and Duo, who caught one each. Something to keep them occupied.

"Like your queen is enough for your tastes?" Trowa retorted.

Dorothy only smiled.

Heero opened up the case and narrowed his eyes. "Wufei said Laoshi O has a tiger fetish?"

They all looked up. Trowa nodded. "What'd you find?"

Heero dropped the box, holding up a roll of paper sealed with red wax and a tiger paw imprint. "I think this is what we're looking for."

"Which one of you stole that?" Trowa asked.

"I think that one's Duo's, too," Dorothy said. "You picked up a lot, thief."

Duo, pleased at the praise, grinned. "I've got a reputation to keep up."

Heero broke the seal and stretched the paper out. "Sp. Failed. Give guards bug. Duke."

"Duke?" Duo wondered. "Failed what?"

"The assassination attempt," Quatre answered. "I wonder what the next mission is."

"Duo--?" Heero started to ask, but his slave knew exactly what he wanted.

"I took it out of Septem's pants."

"How'd you know it was him?"

"I heard him talking during the dance. He's got a really weird voice. Couldn't miss it, even with a mask."

"Then the duke would be Dermail," Dorothy grumbled. "Grandfather."

Trowa stared at his brother. "Is this the proof you wanted?"

Heero nodded once. "Yes. This is it."

"Now what do you do?" Duo asked.

"He might be a duke, but he's still my subject," Heero said, his voice completely devoid of emotion. "I will summon him here, along with the rest of Romefeller."

"There's still Oz to think about," Trowa warned him. "He's got his own personal army mixed in yours."

"With any luck, Zechs and Noin should have a list ready for me."

"Not to mention that they're actually J's subjects, not yours."

"That should change in a few days."

"Heero..." Trowa, becoming mildly impatient at his brother's stubbornness, grabbed a bag only to drop it as something squirmed around in the velvet. "What on earth? It moved!"

Dorothy frowned and took out a small knife. With a little flourish, she sliced the top of the bag off and let out the black scorpion hidden inside. "Ugh. Nasty." She grabbed the back of the tail with one hand, the two pinchers with her other, pulled, and then flipped the two parts casually out the window. "We get those all the time in Sank. Rotten little bastards."

"Someone was expecting thieves," Trowa nodded.

"No, I think that was intended for one of us later tonight. Check your beds before you go to sleep."

Quatre gave a little squeak, but Duo smiled at him. "Relax, those are easy to kill."

"You've seen those things before?"

"I woke up with 'em all the time."

"Do you remember who had it?" Quatre asked.

"I don't think that was mine," Duo admitted.

"It wasn't," Dorothy said, flipping her hair back. "I took it from one of your guards."

"I think it's safe to assume that was plan two," Heero said.

Trowa looked up. "To be delivered by Oz guards."

A knock on the door startled all of them, so everyone with a weapon drew while the slaves curled up on their seats.

"Who is it?" Heero demanded.

"Just me, Sally. It's urgent."

After a nod from Heero, the guard closest to the door opened it, then locked it again when Sally stepped through. She hesitated when she saw all the sharp, pointy bits of steel aimed at her. "It's just me!"

"What did you want?"

She glanced sideways at the guards and Dorothy. "Can I speak freely?"

Heero nodded.

"It's about J...I just came back from Treize's room..."

*

"I can stand on my own," Wufei complained. "Let me down."

Treize ignored his slave's tired voice and booted open his door, stepping in and kicking it closed before he walked to the bed. He lay Wufei on the blankets and gathered the two pillows up, stacking them behind his lover before he allowed him to lean back. Still, even though he was half-upright, Treize had to put his hand on Wufei's chest to force the boy to keep still. "Don't move."

"But Treize--"

"Either you don't move, or I will tie you to the bed," Treize warned him. "Don't argue."

Wufei read the muted frustration on his master's face and wisely gave in, laying still when Treize stood up. "I'm not that tired, though."

"Then don't sleep," Treize said, choosing not to bicker about that. "Sally will be here soon anyway, so it's probably best if you stay awake until then." He undid the buttons on Wufei's overcoat and opened it, slipping it off and out from under him. Treize then moved to take off Wufei's pants, but the sorcerer balked and grabbed at his master's hand.

"Treize! Sally will be here!"

"She's a healer," Treize tried to keep his patience. "Besides, it's not like she's never seen you before."

"But I was unconscious at the time," Wufei mumbled.

Treize stroked his cheek and smiled. "And now you aren't. Now hush." He finished stripping his slave but conceded slightly by laying a thin sheet over his lower half.

There was a knock on the door, and before either of them could answer, Sally walked in, yawning as she shut the door again. "Y'know, sane people wait until daylight before doing weird shit."

"What?" Treize wondered.

"That way they don't bother their doctor all hours of the night," she griped. She dragged the spare chair from the side of the room to the bed and plopped down, bringing her bag on her lap. "What happened?"

"Nothing serious," Wufei complained, but no one listened to him.

"His hand is burnt, he's got a fever and he was unconscious for awhile."

Sally spotted the hand with the red mark and seized it, laying it palm up on the mattress. "Oh, it's nothing to worry about. Don't move," she said, glaring at her patient. She took a small jar out of her bag and sprinkled the contents on a bit of cotton cloth, then pressed it into the burned palm and began to wrap gauze around it, holding it in place.

"That'll kill some of the pain," she told them. "It should heal fast, but don't use that hand for a week or so." She then lay her hand on Wufei's forehead and shook her head. "Mm, you do have a fever, but it's not bad. The usual should keep that down. Do you need a cloth for it?"

Treize shook his head. "I have one by the wash basin."

She nodded. "Now, you said he was unconscious?"

"Only for a few moments," Wufei piped in again.

"But why?" she prodded.

"The second spell came through so fast it slammed into my own spell. Since that was connected to me, I received the backlash. I felt...everything."

"Everything?" Treize asked.

Wufei closed his eyes and lowered his head. Treize put his hand on Wufei's, trying to reassure him, but the sorcerer wouldn't say anything else.

With a sympathetic wince, Sally stood. "He probably just needs a lot of bed rest," she said in a soft voice. "Can he take the next few days off?"

"Of course. I shouldn't have made him do this so soon, but we had no choice."

"I understand. I'm not surprised he passed out, though. His fainting spells have been getting worse...and...worse..." A strange expression crossed her features. "Treize, how many times has he fainted lately?"

Treize tilted his head. "Now in the dungeon, before when he put the wards back up, then again at the garden."

She frowned in thought. "I know those wards are tough to keep up, but still. He should have recovered by now. He shouldn't be fainting with every spell."

"I managed to keep the illusions up at dinner," Wufei said in an uncharacteristically sullen voice. He didn't even raise his eyes.

"Yes, shallow spells that don't take much effort," Treize said. "That's why I let you in the first place. Sally, what are you getting at?"

"Mm. Maybe nothing, but I want to be sure. Hold on." She turned and went to Wufei's trunk, kneeling and looking through the assortment of charms and gems.

"Watch it, you could trip something!" the sorcerer snapped, but she didn't acknowledge him.

After half a minute she stood up with a clear ball of crystal in one hand. Careful not to drop it, she carried it to the bed and held it out. "Wufei, take it."

He continued to stare at the bed sheets.

Treize frowned, his anger rising slightly at the refusal. "Wufei?"

This time Wufei screwed his eyes shut and shook his head.

"Disobedient little slave," Treize whispered, his voice harsh. "Do I have to fight you to make you well again?"

"Treize, please." Black eyes looked up into blue. "Please don't make me."

The officer leaned back. For Wufei to plead like that, and in front of Sally no less, made absolutely no sense. He made no movement, didn't turn his head again or cry, he simply stared at his lover.

Treize shook his head once. "I'm sorry. You must." He picked the crystal globe up from Sally, turned Wufei's hand over and placed the ball in the open palm.

"Well?" Sally prodded, not waiting a second.

Treize lay his hand on Wufei's arm. "It's all right," he murmured. "You know I love you."

All the fight left Wufei, and he lowered his head even more. With a despondent droop in his shoulders, he concentrated. A faint light sparked in the globe, then grew in strength after a moment. Treize and the doctor waited, but it didn't burn any brighter. Wufei hissed painfully as he fought to pour more energy into the ball, but nothing he did helped any. After another few seconds, the light faded again.

"You can usually make that thing shine like a star," Treize said, gently taking the ball away. "Now it's hardly a candle."

"I'm just tired," Wufei insisted. "I've been casting spells left and right, and especially after that burst on the roof--"

Treize set his fingertips on Wufei's lips, shushing him. "Don't lie to me. You should have recovered almost immediately. You should have regained all your lost magick. But you haven't."

"I think he is regenerating energy," Sally said. "But he's not receiving any of it. It's pouring into someone else. In fact, I don't think Wufei has enough for another spell now, or else he'd be hiding his scars."

Wufei drew his hands back self-consciously, but didn't respond.

"But where's that energy going?" Treize wondered. "Can't you tell us?"

The sorcerer only twisted the sheet in his hands.

"He's likely forbidden from admitting anything," Sally shook her head and smiled ruefully. "Well, it explains a lot. A hell of a lot."

"What does?"

"Isn't it obvious?" she asked. "Wufei's been keeping J alive."

*

"You're serious?" Heero whispered.

Sally folded her arms. "Of course. But I don't know why he'd do it. J can't even get out of bed, what's the point of extending that kind of life?"

"You only see him once a day," Heero said. "He might not be as weak as we think now. I think it's time I had a talk with him."

"But you'll be asking him to kill himself," Dorothy gasped.

"He should have been dead days ago. And a crippled sorcerer is no use to me." Heero stepped close to Duo and took his hands, lifting him to his feet. "You need to come with me."

"We'll finish going through the bags," Trowa said a little too quickly, finding a fast excuse to stay put.

Dorothy smirked, but she kept her comments to herself. "I'll help, but then I must get back to Miss Relena."

Quatre quietly stood up, wrapping the cloak tight around his shoulders, and walked over to Trowa. He nudged under one arm and leaned hard so that his master had to hug him close. "I'm right beside you," he murmured.

Trowa took a deep breath to settle his racing heart and gave him a little kiss on the top of his head. "I know, angel. Want to open one?"

Quatre nodded and shook three small knives out of a white bag. "Knives?"

"Duo!" Dorothy gasped, grabbing her knives. "How the hell--!"

Duo snuggled against Heero. "Sorry, I didn't know it was you! It was hard to see everything."

Heero smirked as he whisked Duo out of the room, away from the irate assassin.

*

KC: *phew* Another chapter done.

Quatre: Eww, scorpions! Icky!

Wufei: Quit your complaining! I'm in the most trouble, I'm practically at death's door!

Treize: Oh, my poor little Wu-bear! *glomps Wu-bear*

All: O_O

Wu-bear: can't...breathe...

Duo: So, now do we get to see what's in the basement?

KC: Yup. I'm gonna have fun dreaming up that place. Hopefully it should be better than this chapter. And I'll try to explain more. There isn't too much to explain now, though.

Trowa: What about that riddle?

KC: You mean you can't figure it out? C'mon, it's not exactly Nostradamus stuff.

Quatre: But what will the meteor be?

KC: I haven't decided yet. But it'll be spectacular. I hope.

Heero: You mean you don't know what the big payoff to the fic will be?

KC: Actually, I think I just thought of something. And it's a really good idea. Big surprise.

Treize: *unglomps Wu-bear* But you won't hurt my Wufei, will you?

Wufei: *deep gulp of air*

KC: Of course I will. That's half the fun, tormenting you guys.

Duo: But are you gonna kill anyone?

Trowa: You mean you haven't noticed the trend to all her fics?

Duo: Huh?

Heero: She suffers from chronic happyendingitis.

Quatre: Plus she never gets any.

Wufei: Now that is torture. Poor woman.

KC: Thank you for your sympathy.

Wufei: But you're still stupid and weak.

KC: You little...*smack!*

Wufei: My hair!

Treize: It's redder than mine!

Trowa: I thought green was next.

KC: Red looks better on him. Now, I'd better start on the next chapter soon. Heero and Duo have an adventure coming up.

Duo: Just how long is this night going to be anyway?

KC: Oh yeah. I better let you guys take a nap first, too.


On To Chapter 27

Back to Heero + Duo
Back to Quatre + Trowa
Back to Wufei + Other
Back to Multiple Pairings

Back to Main Archive