Metal of Legend Chapter 1


By: Hamonie Des Anges

Well here's the fic.  Hope you like it.  It's AU, NC-17 for future chapters, various pairings later on, exterme violence, language, yaoi and straight.
 
 

Standard Disclaimer:  Gundam Wing is not mine.  It is a product of Sunrise and stuff.  So ya can’t sue someone for somethin’ that ain’t theirs.

 

This story is based on the classic RPG Dungeons and Dragons.

Any questions concerning various names places and things send to me.

 

Metal of Legend

 

Chapter 1:  Betwixt the two shall meet

 

            The snow white coat was splattered with mud and stained a grimy gray-brown as the horse sloshed through thick mires and deep puddles slowly making it’s way through the dismal surroundings of Mistmarsh.  The warrior perched upon it’s back sat straight and alert in the saddle.  His dark blue eyes roamed the surrounding landscape and his slight pointed ears kept track of all the sounds that drifted out of the misty darkness.  His short messy brown hair fell in a jagged line over his brow and what little light that filtered through the dense fog and foliage bounced of the warrior’s armor with a silvery metallic glint.

            After traveling a time a small sound alerted the elfish soldier.  Stopping his mount he slid off, the thick soles of the ridding boots he wore made not a sound on the marsh’s muddy ground.  With a whispered command to his horse the young man started forward.  As he drew nearer to the source of the sound he could make out voices.

            “What a great haul.”

            “Yeah, though, I still think you a fool for stealing from a paladin Rook.”

            “Hey, he didn’t even see it comin’.  Besides this emerald is special, I just don’t know how.”

            “You think it’s magic?”

            “No doubt.  The way he looked when we got away, it can only be magic.  Why else would anyone make such a fuss over one little emerald?”

            The glint of armor was nothing compared to the steely glitter in the ice cold Prussian blue orbs as the warrior crept closer, waiting to strike.  His right hand reached up and closed around the cold silver hilt of his sword.  Just as he was about to pull the blade out a hand clapped over his mouth and another wrapped around his waist, pulling him back.

            “Don’t make a sound!”  A voice hissed in his ear.  The blue-eyed boy relented and stopped struggling.  After drawing him out of hearing range the boy’s unknown captor let him loose.  Whirling around the cobalt-eyed boy came face to face with a pair of violet eyes.  He took a step back to examine hit would be assailant. 

            The boy who stood in front of him was about his height with large expressive eyes and a cocky grin.  His hair was a rich chestnut color, pulled back into a loose shiny braid that fell past his waist.  He was slender and the black silk pirate shirt, which had so conveniently been left unlaced, ran in smooth lines over his slim build.  A pair of black pants held by a black leather belt with a silver buckle molded to his long legs.  A pair of black leather pull on boots that folded down just below the knee completed the outfit.  The angular features and pointed ears far sharper and taller than his own denoted him an elf.  A strange metal rod resembling a quaterstaff1 was strapped to his back.

            The black clad elf in turn studied this stranger he’d just met.  The amethyst eyes ran over the lithe form of the warrior in front of him, from the icy blue eyes and sharply chiseled half-eleven features to the metal shoulder epaulets and breastplate with a large green orb in the center that gleamed.  A unique gauntlet ran from his left shoulder to his wrist held in place by leather straps.  A white peasant shirt flowed from under the metal armor and was tucked into a pair of light tan pants that fit snuggly over the trim waist and legs ending a pair of dark brown leather riding boots.  A silver handled sword hung from his waist.  And a bright crimson cloak hung from his shoulders.

            “So, what do I owe this pleasure”?  The warrior asked in a monotone dripping in sarcasm.

            “I’m sorry if I wanted to save you life.” The braided boy returned good naturedly, “If I had let you go into that ring you would have been killed in a heart beat.”

            “I would have been fine.” The other hissed angrily, “And just who do you think you are”?

            “I do not think, I know.  I am Duo Maxwell, I run, I hide, but I never tell a lie, at your service.”  The elf introduced with an elaborate bow.

            “And if I may be so bold, who are you”? The grinning Duo asked, eyes glittering mischievously.

            “Heero Yuy,” the warrior introduced curtly.  “And what do you mean by ‘killed in a heartbeat’”?

            “Just that pal.  Those three are the most bloodthirsty bandits around here.  A surprise attack couldn’t beat them.” Duo explained patiently.

            “Oh? So, what do you propose I do?” Heero inquired with no small measure of sarcasm.

            “I’d be willing to help you…for a price.” Duo slyly added.

            “And that would be…”

            “Aw, pashaw and tish.  We’ll worry about that later.  Right now let’s try to get into that camp.  By the way, why are you chasing Rook’s gang?”

            “They have something that belongs to me and I want it back.”

            “Well if you tell me what it is I can get it for you.”

            Heero’s eyes narrowed in suspicion as he said he next words,

            “It’s in a black velvet jewel pouch; the man who calls himself Rook wears around his belt.  That’s all I can tell you.”

            Duo rolled his eyes, “I’m not going to steal it, but I can try to get it back.”

            “How”?

            “I have my ways,” Duo chuckled mysteriously slipping away, “watch and learn.”

            Watching was indeed what Heero did.  He observed the confident hyacinth-eyed boy as he literally strolled into the ring of robbers.

            “Good day, I’m sorry to bother you, but I believe that I’m little lost.”

            “And that means what to us”? A large human asked rising.

            “Calm down George.” A strong half-elf soothed, “If he’s lost we can give him a hand, right Sliva”?

             A small elf stood, her near black tresses swishing behind her.  “True Rook, true.”

            She amended walking around Duo. “He looks so familiar…”

            “I don’t remember seeing you before.” Duo politely answered edging closer to Rook.  After looking him over, Duo spotted the velvet bag next to him on the ground.

            “I really must be going soon.  So, if you would kindly tell me the way out of this swamp…” Duo mock implored nearing the bag.

            “Duo…” the human breathed distracted.

            “Yes?” Duo blinked at the large man.  Three sets of eyes settled on him in suspicion.

            “You never told us your name…” the elf trailed.

            “I remember you, Duo Maxwell”! The human roared, “The one from hardby who got away”!

            As an axe, a bow, and a long sword were drawn Duo knew he’d seriously blown his cover.  With a muttered curse he drew his rod.

            “What’s that Maxwell?  Looks like a reject quarterstaff to me”! George mocked eliciting a rough scoff from the other two.  With a wicked smile Duo drew the pole up until he was holding the middle of the staff with his right hand and a place near the bottom with his left.  Without word or warning, Duo charged the three bandits raising the metal shaft above his head to strike.

            The human held his axe above his head to block the incoming blow, as the other two dodged out of range.  Duo jumped up and began to swing the pole down with a fierce power.

            “Mvnemshnepf”! The barely audible growl spilled from his lips like an exotic battle cry and in a flash a large cruelly curved blade appeared.

            A sound similar to the shatter of glass rang in the mist as the scythe and axe collided.  The owner of the weapon stared at the pieces of iron littering the ground that had once been a powerful battle-axe, holding the wooden handle of it dumbly.

            “Never mock my ‘quarterstaff’” Duo smiled darkly.  A movement to his left caught his attention and he turned just as the girl launched an arrow at him.  Duo let out a sharp cry and fell to the ground as the arrow connected with his left shoulder.  His grip on the scythe weakened as his hand moved to his injury.

            After snapping out of the shock of seeing the small elf break the axe, Heero grabbed his sword and rushed out.  Running toward the elf who had injured Duo, Heero brought the blade of the sword down slicing the girl’s wrist open.  She gasped and recoiled from Heero clutching her wrist as the crimson liquid ran freely over her hands, dropping to the ground in small patters.  Turning his back on the bleeding elf Heero advanced on Rook. 

            Duo broke the body of the arrow off and threw it away.  He looked up as a shadow fell over him and his eyes widened as the human lunged at him with a dagger.  Rolling to his left Duo tightened his grip on his scythe and brought the edge up.  The sharp point of the scythe dug into the man’s diaphragm.  The man gasped as Duo pushed the point in deeper.  Blood ran down the blade and handle as Duo twisted the scythe further.  Wrenching the shaft back and forth Duo gouged the shank farther into the bandit’s flesh.

            Duo narrowed his eyes and a strange smile split the indigo eyed boy’s lips as he snarled and slashed the blade down diagonally ripping the man’s mid-section open.  Blood and several solid objects fell form the wound landing in sick plops.  Placing his foot on the man’s chest Duo drew him down before throwing him off with a vicious kick.  Placing the end of the scythe on the ground to steady himself, Duo stood.  He was caught unprepared when a fist cracked against his jaw.  He stumbled back a few paces.  Glaring at the gasping elf who had hit him, Duo wiped away the trail of blood seeping from his lips. 

            With an animalistic cry, Duo lunged at the girl.  Swinging the scythe around, Duo aimed for her stomach, missing as she jumped over the blade.  Continuing to turn Duo used the momentum to pivot and bring his leg up.  The hard sole of his right foot smashed against her jaw, sending her flying with a resounding crack.  Panting Duo approached and once more raised his scythe.  He was surprised when she jumped up and took hold of the staff.  Pulling, Duo threw her off balance before rushing forward and catching her in the chest.  She fell to the ground coughing.  Training his eyes on the bandit’s three horses, which were bucking and rearing in fear, Duo approached.

            The wild whinnies grew louder as Duo raised the scythe.  Bringing it down he cut the ropes holding two of the horses and they bolted.  The female elf raised her head at the hammer of hove beats and gasped at the sight of two grown horses bearing down on her.  Duo didn’t flinch at the anguished scream or the sickening crunch of bones as the horses ran over the girl’s prone figure.  When the horses had past all that was left was a mangled form vaguely resembling a humanoid, covered in red-brown mud, floating in a mire.

            The clash of metal drew Duo’s attention and he watched the two half-elves face off.  The swords locked together as the two humanoids jocked for position.  Breaking away Rook lunged at Heero’s chest failing his mark as the blue-eyed boy parried.  Pulling back Rook began a series of sweeping blows as Heero dodged and parried, never once striking back.

            “Running away?”  Rook growled as Heero backed up a few steps. “Afraid of a little bandit?  Why don’t you fight back?  Can’t you fight?!”  Rook demanded drawing his sword up.  He brought the blade down over Heero’s head as the boy lifted his left arm.  The iron clanged against the gauntlet as Rook tried to break through.  He growled and pushed harder against Heero’s forearm.

            “Rook,” the stoic boy finally spoke, “You’ve forgotten one very important rule.  NEVER leave and opening!”         

            With that Heero brought the tip of his sword up level with Rook’s heart and rammed the point in as hard as he could.

            “To bad you’ll never be able to use it.”  Heero sneered as he twisted the blade inside the body before pulling it out.  He watched impassively as Rook dropped to the ground dead.  Turning from the body, Heero bent and scooped the bag off the ground.  He looked up when he heard Duo mutter something and the scythe disappeared, leaving him once again with a plain metal rod, which he promptly strapped to his back.  Standing Duo walked to the girl in the mire and felt along her belt.  A grin split his face as he lifted a small pouch up.  Standing Duo made his way toward his first victim.  The man was alive, barely.  Every now and again he would take a shallow, shaky breath, however, his eyes were glazed and his skin pale.

            Duo searched along his waist a moment before smiling smugly.  Rising Duo also held a larger, and by the looks of it heavier pouch.  He caught Heero’s gaze and shrugged.

            “Gotta make a livin’ some how.”

            Heero snorted and opened the pouch.  Aside from a number of precious stones Heero found eight identically smooth stones, their only difference were the various colors.  They were all the same half sphere shape and size; only one was amethyst, two sapphires, two rubies, and two onyxes, with his own emerald on the side.

            Are there others?  Heero wondered staring at the jewels in his hand.  And if there are, how did that idiot get these jewels? 

            Still confused and wondering Heero slipped the other seven back into the pouch, attaching it to his belt.  Holding the circular emerald up Heero placed to flat edge near a small almost indiscernible notch on the hilt of his sword.  As if attracted to the metal by some magnetic force the jewel moved to connect to the sword.  Heero let the sword go right before the gem and metal could touch, knowing from past experience he would be burned if he didn’t.  The gem gleamed for a second before the sword fell to the ground sticking there.  Breathing hard Heero stared at the grounded sword; he still wasn’t use to it.

            “Oi, Heero, you ok?”  Duo asked walking up.

            “I’m fine,” Heero gasped as feeling flooded back into his limbs.

            “You sure?  Hey, you dropped your sword, here.”  The cheery elf said pulling the sword out of the earth with his left hand.  Lifting it up he held the hilt out to Heero.  Heero’s eyes widened as Duo picked up his sword and held it out to him.

            “Your…your hand doesn’t burn?”  Heero breathed.

            “Burn,” a confused look crossed Duo’s face, “Why would it?”

            “It’s…it’s just…Never mind, thank you.”  Heero said taking the sword back.  Who or what are you? Heero asked himself as he stared at Duo. As Heero was sheathing his sword Duo winched and clutched his shoulder.

            “What?  Are you all right?”  Heero asked curious about this boy who could handle his sword without pain.

            “That bitch,” Duo grunted tossing his head back toward the girl’s lifeless body, “She shot me with an arrow.”

            “Fool,” Heero growled forcing Duo to sit, “You should have said something.”

            Heero set to work totally unlacing Duo’s shirt and pulling it off his shoulder.  Heero examined the bit of arrow protruding from the wound.

            “Hold still this might hurt.”  Heero commanded.  Wrapping his fingers around what was left of the shaft, Heero held Duo down with one hand and twisted the arrow loose with the other.  Duo tensed and gritted his teeth as the fire in his shoulder spread to the rest of his arm.

            “Jesus, what’cha do that for?”

            “Hush,” Heero admonished as he untied a white handkerchief from around his upper arm.  Reaching down to his belt he unclipped a waterskin.  Heero poured some of the cool liquid on the clothe before pressing the soaked rag to the bleeding wound.  Duo hissed and Heero could feel the pale skin around his hand pebble with goose bumps in reaction to the relatively cold water. 

            “Hold this to the wound,” Heero instructed placing Duo’s hand where his own had been.  Not waiting for a response Heero stood and walked a few paces from Duo.  Puckering his lips Heero released a long, low whistle.  The sound of a horse galloping toward them followed soon after.  A mud splattered snow white horse trotted into view and stopped directly in front of Heero like an obedient dog.

            Searching through a pouch attached to the saddle, Heero extracted a small green jar.  Turning he knelt back down next to Duo and opened the jar.

            “Can you talk to animals?”  Duo asked looking from Heero to the horse and back.

            “I can no more talk to animals than it seems you can shut up.”  Heero replied dryly.

            “Now be still,” he commanded, removing the scarlet stained clothe from the puncture.  Dipping his fingers into the jar, Heero drew a generous amount of a white gel like liquid out of the minute pot.  When he touched the gel to the wound Duo felt burning pain and cried out.

            “Hey, that hurts!”

            “Quiet!”  Heero snapped voice harsh even though his hand rubbed the ointment in with gentle, tender strokes.  Duo bit his lip and closed his eyes as the puncture was stretched and prodded.  He opened his eyes as he felt clothe being wrapped around his shoulder.  Heero continued to wind the makeshift bandage around Duo’s shoulder.  Looping the cloth once, Heero tied a knot right over the wound.  Placing the lid back on the jar Heero stood and walked to his horse.

            “You’re lucky the arrow failed its mark.”  Heero commented as he tucked the jar into the saddlebag.

            “What do you mean failed its mark?  She hit me didn’t she?”  Duo muttered rubbing his sore shoulder.

            “She needed to move down about two inches.  She was aiming for your heart.”

            “Oh.”  Duo blinked over stressing the single syllable. 

            “All right, what do I owe you for helping me?”  Heero sighed boredly.

            “All I ask is that you let me join your caravan.”  Duo smiled.

            “Join me?  Why would I want anything to do with a common thief?”  Heero sneered.

            Duo gasped as though offended, “First of all I am much better than common.”  Duo stated indignantly,  “and second I prefer the title, Finder of fine things.”  Duo smiled smugly.  Heero couldn’t help it he smiled and laughed quietly.  Duo seemed startled by the light chuckle, fairly high-pitched for someone with such a deep voice.

            Shaking his head Heero’s smile disappeared but his eyes still danced with amusement.  After a thoughtful moment Heero nodded.

            “All right, but if you’re more trouble than you’re worth…”

            “I’ll be good,” Duo replied sounding like a mischievous child.

            “You’d better.”

            “Cross my heart and hope to die.”  Duo answered solemnly.  With another nod, Heero turned and silently climbed onto his mount, motioning for Duo to do the same.  Taking the hint, Duo untied the black horse he’d left for himself.  Leaving as much weight off his injured arm as possible, Duo climbed into the saddle.

            “Follow me,” was all Heero said before heading into the fog.  After traveling for two hours, at a slow walk, in complete silence, Duo had just about lost it.

            “You said you never lie?”

            The quiet question caught Duo unaware.

            “Uh, yeah.  Why?”

            “Then why did you tell those bandits that you were lost?”

            “Actually,” Duo laughed sheepishly, “I, uh, was lost…That’s why I was following them.”

            Heero rolled his eyes and sighed.  What have I gotten myself into?  He wondered.  Still the boy intrigued him, he was amusing, and Heero wanted to know more of his abilities.  He could be tolerant when it was necessary.  He listened with half an ear as Duo babbled about festivals and ghost stories about Mistmarsh.

            “So where’re we headed?”  Duo inquired tiredly, he was exhausted from his one sided conversation with the living rock.

            Heero glanced back at the boy behind him.

            “Greyhawk.”

 

Well there’s chapter one.  Tell me how I’m doing, K? 

1.  Quarterstaff- long pole of wood usually about 5 to 6 ft., weighs about 4 lbs.  This may vary from creature to creature.


On To Chapter 2-Not Up Yet

Back to Heero + Duo
Back to Multiple Pairings

Back to Main Archive